Hi I am a little confused about the baggage limits when flying with qantas.

I am travelling internationally with my wife, are we allowed to put both of our snowboard gear in the one bag? or would it be considered as two 'kits' for one person.

here is what it says on their website:

International Weight System International Piece System

When the combined weight of one kit and your checked baggage exceed the free baggage weight allowance, you will be charged at the rate of 3kg (7lb). Limit of one kit per person. The kit can be included as one piece in your free baggage allowance. If the one kit is in addition to the total free allowance, a special rate of 33% of the standard additional baggage rates will apply. Additional equipment is accepted at standard additional baggage rates.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I came over here in March I brought my snowboard. Instead of worrying about whether it fit into the luggage allowance, i contacted the airline directly and paid an excess baggage fee before I got to the airport. It works out a lot cheaper as it tends to be a flat rate and not based on weight. Also we took 3 boards and bindings last easter to France from Scotland in the 1 bag and only paid the one surcharge, although that was probably due to inept airline staff

Originally Posted By: halfmachine
Qantas have told me that only one board, boots and bindings are to be packed in each bag.
They even made me unpack my boardbag once at BNE and repack all my crap into plastic bags! \:\(

were you travelling by yourself?
because if i pack two 'kits' into the one bag and check in the same time with my wife at the airport, do you think I will be ok?

I don't see it being a problem packing 2-3 boards in the one bag.

They never check how many surfboards I pack in my massive coffin (up to 5) so snowboards being smaller I'd guess would be less of a problem.

Also travelling with kids usually you get to add your allowances together and don't usually worry if you're over by up to about 5kgs each.

i've flown perth-tokyo twice with qantas, with a coffin snowboardbag, with 2 sets of boards, boots, bindings and outerwear (mine and spookettes). we've never had a problem.

the bag weighs a ton but has wheels.

and then we only take on large backpack between us and a small carry-on bag each. if you're under the overall weight limit and check in early (2 hours before departure) you shouldn't have a problem.

also, you can call up airlines and let them know you might be a bit over, and they sometimes give you an extra 5kg allowance for sporting gear.

i've always been very lucky with airlines... i try and smile and make friendly chit-chat, and it seems to work

Originally Posted By: spook

i've always been very lucky with airlines... i try and smile and make friendly chit-chat, and it seems to work

Smooth bugger!

I've never had a problem either ,with Qantas or any other airline, weight is probably the most important issue. My brother once weighed in his boards (3) ,with spearfishing equipment including weight belt, on a trip to Fiji. It weighed 38kg. No problem.
 Originally Posted By: kuro
Qantas have told me that only one board, boots and bindings are to be packed in each bag.
They even made me unpack my boardbag once at BNE and repack all my crap into plastic bags! \:\(

were you travelling by yourself?
because if i pack two 'kits' into the one bag and check in the same time with my wife at the airport, do you think I will be ok?

Yeh I was travelling solo.
Best to ask Qantas on the phone mate.....Problem is the letter of the law has only been followed once with me out of at least 10 trips. Rest of the time it has not been a drama. You will in all likelyhood be fine but if you get an asshole on a bad day well who knows.

One extra point worth mentioning...... It wasn't at check in they made me unpack my bag it was at the oversize baggage counter, the guy even went down to the girl I checked in with and gave her a bollocking.
He threw quite a hissy fit!

One extra point worth mentioning...... It wasn't at check in they made me unpack my bag it was at the oversize baggage counter, the guy even went down to the girl I checked in with and gave her a bollocking.

Well that sounds like they boys at the over sized baggage thought the bag was over the bag KG limit. Over 32kg's per bag and they might crack the shiats especially at the person who checked it in.

I don't know what everyone with ski gear always gets worried about. Bottom line is as long as all your baggage is within the KG allowance you really shouldn't have a problem. (sometimes they don't even weigh the over sized bags thumbsup.gif)
 Originally Posted By: spook
i've flown perth-tokyo twice with qantas, with a coffin snowboardbag, with 2 sets of boards, boots, bindings and outerwear (mine and spookettes). we've never had a problem.
the bag weighs a ton but has wheels.
and then we only take on large backpack between us and a small carry-on bag each. if you're under the overall weight limit and check in early (2 hours before departure) you shouldn't have a problem.
also, you can call up airlines and let them know you might be a bit over, and they sometimes give you an extra 5kg allowance for sporting gear.

Good for you spook. I'm well jacked off with Qantas Perth to Narita. The bastards won't fly my children unaccompanied on the simplest and easiest route.
 Originally Posted By: Indo

Well that sounds like they boys at the over sized baggage thought the bag was over the bag KG limit. Over 32kg's per bag and they might crack the shiats especially at the person who checked it in.

I don't know what everyone with ski gear always gets worried about. Bottom line is as long as all your baggage is within the KG allowance you really shouldn't have a problem. (sometimes they don't even weigh the over sized bags thumbsup.gif)

My bag was a shade over limit at 21.5KG.

This is from the Qantas website.

"Snow Ski/Snowboard

One snow ski or snowboard kit consists of one pair of skis or one snowboard, one pair of stocks, and one pair of ski or snowboard boots. Snow skis and snowboards must be protected in a ski bag."

It also says-

International Piece System

When the combined weight of one kit and your checked baggage exceed the free baggage weight allowance, you will be charged at the rate of 3kg (7lb). Limit of one kit per person. The kit can be included as one piece in your free baggage allowance. If the one kit is in addition to the total free allowance, a special rate of 33% of the standard additional baggage rates will apply. Additional equipment is accepted at standard additional baggage rates.

yeah well, i wonder what the rationale for that is? it can't be to reduce weight of individual bags, because as long as you are under 32kg per bag you should be right?

it doesn't make much sense to me.

in my case, when we travel with 2 sets of gear in one bag, if they ask us to repack we'd be f#cked - how on earth can you magic a new bag for your gear 90 minutes before your flight? what about crew that take a couple of boards away with them?

the only possible argument you could come up with is why does it matter so long as i am under the limit? do they make people who travel with golf clubs pack them individually? if anything you are reducing the amount of bags they have to carry.

stressin about this stuff before you get on a plane sucks.

I really don't understand how they came up with that rule wakaranai.gif

Look at the difference for surfboards! As many boards that can fit in your boardbag as long as it doesn't weight more than 32kg ( I put up to 5 boards in mine) But only 1 snowboard? Really having a 2nd board in your bag, what F%(ing difference is that going to make?

I won't be complaining though, as they might bring in the silly US airline rules regarding surfboard tax sjangry.gif

the US airlines surfboard tax is a joke. up to $100US per BOARD?!? WTF?

i actually like the policy on the budget european airlines (ryanair and easyjet) - pay a flat $15 for each leg you take sporting equip (surf, snow, golf clubs whatever). it doesn't count towards your overall wieght allowance and you don't have to stress about anything

i haven't checke dthe qantas site fats, but i thought they did direct sydney-sapporo flights, cos of, you know where...

stopping in tokyo wouldn't make that much diff in travel time though - maybe 3 hours to transfer?

i doubt it will stop people flying to hokkaido. more people will start exploring honshu, but this will have nought to do with plane travel