Australia introduces immigant test

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to go through it every time I come home, but that's the name of the game. The same deal happens travelling to the USA, I believe (may be wrong).

I still prefer living here to putting up with the hoons and general lawlesness in Oz, or the litter and dogshit in the UK.

Originally Posted By: Indo
Soubs, they have both.
the J consulate or whatever sends em a letter around age 20 saying choose.

Someone at the British Embassy "unofficially" suggested to me that mini me tarzan replied to the letter, choosing Japanese as the Japanese government did not have access to who was a UK passport holder and so wouldn't be able to check whether or not he had given it up. Not sure how that would work at immigration in Japan though as after a trip to the UK he wouldn't have any visitor stamps.
 Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20070828zg.html

Could be worse, this is from the JT.

Are there any decent resorts in Korea?

NO. They suck big time. Shutting down the lifts at lunch time so EVERYBODY goes to lunch at the same time at the same place. Snow making at night that makes a beautiful night scene but it's ICE.

I HATE KOREAN SKI RESORTS. THEY SUCK BIG TIME.
 Originally Posted By: me jane
 Originally Posted By: Indo
Soubs, they have both.
the J consulate or whatever sends em a letter around age 20 saying choose.

Someone at the British Embassy "unofficially" suggested to me that mini me tarzan replied to the letter, choosing Japanese as the Japanese government did not have access to who was a UK passport holder and so wouldn't be able to check whether or not he had given it up. Not sure how that would work at immigration in Japan though as after a trip to the UK he wouldn't have any visitor stamps.

He's correct. By choosing Japanese there's no requirement By the UK for him to give up British (Welsh ;\) ) nationality.

Aren't most UK pasports issued in Wales anyway?? If you hold a UV light to the passport, a few pages in should be some watermarks, most of them are the welsh flower thingy, some of them are scotish thistles and some are english roses

Completely off topic, but when I last applied for a UK drivers licence (1977), the DVLA (in Wales) was swamped. The temporary fix was to issue licenses until the holder turns 75. I won't need to re-apply untill 2022 \:\)

yeah my bro has one like that, its the old paper version. Nowadays you have a photo ID for a drivers licence. When I was in Oz we worked for this removal company in Sydney and got stopped by the cops, they asked to see his drivers licence and he pulled out this scabby piece of paper, should have seen their faces, "what the **** is this??"

Its still valid and legal though so they accepted it

how can it still be valid if it has a CANCELLED stamp? i don't fancy explaining that to a cop.

i thought when you got an overseas licence, they cancelled your home one. when you return to your home country, you hand in your overseas one (which they cancel) and they return your home licence

I don't think a dickhead clerk in a suburban Perth police station has the authority to cancel my UK driving licence. That is a little presumptuous, ne'st pas?

Anyone is free to see if my licence is valid, which it is, despite what some WA twerp chose to print on it.

My Japanese licence is also valid. This is the one I'll present to Officer Savage if I'm pulled in the UK.

not quite a mullet, but questionable facial hair - the moustache

my wedding is taking place smack bang in the middle of movember, and the missus is terrified i'm going to rock up with a hairy slug on my top lip