Australia introduces immigant test

Australia introduces immigrant test

I can see the boys at "Chaser" having field day with this going around and interviewing dumb ockers and threatening to deport them. You an be sure that at least 90% of Australian bogans and no-hopers (all the favorite people of the former SJ poster DB aka Spud) would fail the test.unsure.gif

here go some samples found on SMH, Ok Austraylans onboard how many can you get?!

1. In what year did Federation take place?

2. Which day of the year is Australia Day?

3. Who was the first Prime Minister of Australia?

4. What is the first line of Australia's national anthem?

5. What is the floral emblem of Australia?

6. What is the population of Australia?

7. In what city is the Parliament House of the Commonwealth Parliament located?

8. Who is the Queen's representative in Australia?

9. How are Members of Parliament chosen?

10. Who do Members of Parliament represent?

11. After a federal election, who forms the new government?

12. What are the colours on the Australian flag?

13. Who is the head of the Australian Government?

14. What are the three levels of government in Australia?

15. In what year did the European settlement of Australia start?

16. Serving on a jury if required is a responsibility of Australian citizenship: true or false?

17. In Australia, everyone is free to practice the religion of their choice, or practice no religion: true of false?

18. To be elected to the Commonwealth Parliament you must be an Australian citizen: true or false?

19. As an Australian citizen, I have the right to register my baby born overseas as an Australian citizen: true or false?

20. Australian citizens aged 18 years or over are required to enrol on the electoral register: true or false?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

despite having a private school education and two university degrees, i did apallingly bad. i would suspect the majority of my friends and colleagues would fail too.

but if i read the questions and supplied answers once or twice, i would get about 90% right. to apply for citizenship you have to live in australia for a few years anyway, so i can't imagine that requiring people to learn the answers to a few specified questions is too onerous a task

Its not a lot to ask that if you want to be a citizen of a country you have a little knowledge about it. I get a little tired of the people that come here from the Worlds hot spots and once they become a citizen they head back home and expect Australia to rescue them every time there is trouble (at our cost of course).

Question 4. What is the first line of Australia's national anthem?

Answer.........Australians all let us rejoice ...........

According to my 7 year old daughter.

"Australian's all eat ostrich eggs" lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
Its not a lot to ask that if you want to be a citizen of a country you have a little knowledge about it. I get a little tired of the people that come here from the Worlds hot spots and once they become a citizen they head back home and expect Australia to rescue them every time there is trouble (at our cost of course).

I must say I'm interested in exactly what you mean by this ASB. Can you give an example of one of the so called 'hot spots' and how much the Aus government has had to spend to rescue these citizens who fled to these hot spots so quickly after becoming Aussie citizens?
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
 Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum

I must say I'm interested in exactly what you mean by this ASB. Can you give an example of one of the so called 'hot spots' and how much the Aus government has had to spend to rescue these citizens who fled to these hot spots so quickly after becoming Aussie citizens?

Indo got it in one thousands of Lebonese come here and stay until they are Australian Citizens and earn enough to go home and buy a nice house. Then when ever war breaks out they drag out the pass port and our Government has to rescue them. As soon as things settle they all head home again.

One of our radio personalities recently suggested next time we should send a boat and bring all the passports home instead.

I'd be inclined to apply for their Oz passports while they are here. When you get them, then go for Japan passports before you leave. Or vice versa. Keep mum.

Alternatively get them Japan passports and make sure they get permanent residency in Oz. That's no great hardship.

Soubs, they have both.

the J consulate or whatever sends em a letter around age 20 saying choose. Personally I hope they take aussie as who wants to belong to a country that doesn't really want them anyway.

Going your alternative route will be very expensive x2 and if you've ever been through the whole crap of getting a permanent visa for Oz then you rather not have to ever go through it again!

Thanks. Thats all news to me. I have dual Oz (born there) and UK citizenship (grew up there, pommy parents). I took out both mine when Oz didn't worry about it. I agree, it's a bummer to have to choose.

I had a pommy boss whose son went back the UK when he was about 17. After about 18 months he decided to go back to Sydney, and they wouldn't let him in. He hadn't taken out permanent residence before he left. I guess you have no plans to live in Japan again.

That sucks Indo. You'd think they would be more flexable these days, the way people are getting around the globe, international marages ect. My wife has both UK and Oz. She hasn't used her UK one is years.