any athletics fans here? been watching or trying to watch the abysmal TBS coverage, you know the usual deal crap J-pops music blaring in the background while they interview ex-stars like Carl lewis, ads every 4 mins, dopey "tarento" presenters who know nothing about athletics and did I already metion the music?

Aside from that the events have been good so far,

A humble American 100m sprinter, nice for a change. NZ got a gold in womans shotput - a 196cm 120kg polynesian lass - just dont ask her to "cook you any eggs"*

*notorious scene from the movie 'Once were warriors'

I tried listening to the BS those Tarento were spitting out but found myself rolling my eyes so much they started hurting. Mute + own Stereo = noice \:\) (actually SG Ive been jammin to those CDs you burned for me mate - cheers)

I loved watching the crashes during the steeple chase; I had a bad one in college too and also got spiked by another runner. That hurt!! That one bloke didnt even make it over, ouch that had to hurt eek.gif

Tyson Gay's 100 was great

Womens pole vaulting has been pretty entertaining.

400 and 800 quals for men/women have been good

look forward to the 1500 - those guys are so fast its not even funny. My best is still about 30 seconds behind them eek.gif \:o Thats sick.

SG, Davo and I are thinking about a family picnic at Tsurumiryokuchi Park when it cools off. Any good days for you?

Another good night's entertainment. The pole vault frightens me. I'm always afraid someone's going to come down on the end of the pole.

It's a little known fact that when at high school; soubriqutte was the 3rd best long jumper in Tohoku. Then she ruptured an achilles tendon and that was that.

I went this morning, it was great experience to see such top level competition (not counting the Somali woman plodding it in the 200m or the Maldivian getting lapped in the 1500m) You would think you get the best seat in your living room but when you are there you can view so much more, you break the restraints of the television directors current choice and can look anywhere, binoculars are a must.

It was interesting to watch things like the British 200m runner who was DQed in a race after a 2nd false start, I watched her walk all the way the back along the dug-out style walkway at the edge of the track under the stands, felt really sorry for her.

Some of the woman Javeliners (sp?) have the hugest calf muscles, yet normal looking shoulders.

Russian middle distance runners have amazing bodies.

Lots of sights to see.

Would have liked to see the Russian Pole vaulter Isinbaeva in action.

Thankfully they had a Native English speaker announcing and he tried to pronounce all the names as correctly as possible rather than a Japanese presenter hacking everyones name to pieces with the Katakana, they would have had a field day with some of the names.

Though when a Japanese competitor came up the regular announcer let the Japanese announcer say the Japaneese name before continuing, also did the same with the French competitors (there was A French announcer)

Speaking of names, the Lithuanian Discus thrower has the coolest name

Virgilijus Alenka: Virgilijus what a cool name!

Australia! WTF mate? what moron designed their uniform? lime green pants and lime trim with white shirts that have a jaffa coloured side panel? those are Irelands colours! Austrialia is dark green and gold is it not? Get with the program!

P.s. Japan is getting a global spanking in their own backyard, none of the stars have been up to par, Suetsugu, Murofushin et al not delivering.

Only the womans marathon left to Salvage some home pride

I was there tonight in flesh and the crowd seemed pretty decent, at least half full, and the cheap seats were all full, some of the more expensive seats were empty, the North end was pretty full.

Tickets in the evening are 5000 to about 20000 - thats enough to put of the casual punters.

Great evening of athletics especially the long jump, my seat was perfectly placed to see the LJ and the 200m start.

The long jump went to the last jump and the crowd were really getting into it as well as the jumpers. I spotted Carl Lewis and Mike Powell in the stands through the binos.

Right in the final round of jumps they suddenly decided to award the medals for the 400M hurdles, so we had to bear through "Advance Ozzie Fair" when the action was picking up! shocking timing by the organizers and cameras were off the LJ pit and on the podium missing great final round jumps. Howe went spastic with his massive leap, the the Panamanian dude in the last jump clinched it and went crazy, it was cool.

Japan fizzed again: Suwano the pole-vaulter slide down his pole like a fireman and stopped 1/2 way down the track twice, he didnt make even one jump, the 5000m runners got smoked, the hurdlers crashed out.

The crowd went wild any time one of the 5 locals was on display but it was an exercise in futility.

The crowd soon gave up and adopted other competitors instead, the Burmese 5000m runner who was last got a huge cheer like he was winning.

The long jumpers got lots of cheers as well as the successful pole vaulters.

They loved Tyson gay clapping and cheering even when he raised his arms to stretch as he got set in the blocks when there was supposed to be silence. And boy has Tyson Gay has got wheels! and a huge ass! man that is one big butt he has - gluteus Ultramus.

Allyson Felix was a crowd favourite as well.

overall a thoroughly enjoyable experience, if anyone in Kansai has a chance to go Fri, Sat or Sunday, do it! there is never a dull moment.

Originally Posted By: SG

Right in the final round of jumps they suddenly decided to award the medals for the 400M hurdles, so we had to bear through "Advance Ozzie Fair" when the action was picking up!

awww. diddams!
probably the only time you'll have to put up with it at these games anyway! Still fantastic effort for her to defend he title, considering she gave birth not that long ago.

http://osaka2007.iaaf.org/tvradio/index.html#

live audio I just discovered, though it has a 22 sec delay with the TV, fixed that by recording with the DVR and playing as it records after 22secs - no worries finally got some good audio to go with the coverage.

Indo - it wasnt the anthem that was annoying it was the retarded timing that was irksome!

SG, Murofushi has had a bad back for a while..there was a short article my boys were showing me in a T&F mag...he didnt directly talk about it but it was obvious he's not 100%. What a kid to have huh? Both his parents were Olympians and met at the olympics - Probably find some hot ladies/men there eh? Lets Nampa lol.gif

I saw two old teammates on the telly but neither of them qualifed for the finals. Too bad. Glad to see they are still smoking (both on and off the track) I heart women from Jamaica and the Bahamas...lovely \:\)