OK so you can just choose one resort - and has to be a lift-serviced resort (ie, not just a bc mountain). Which would you choose?

My favourite is Myoko Suginohara in Niigata.

(Sorry if this has been done before).

Besides hiking off piste in Gifu, the only backcountry I've done so far is in Niseko, so that's my favorite area to snowboard so far...

As for best 'resort' though, I liked that one in Nagano where you can snowboard under the lift from the top, 'out of bounds'?... After one of the SJ parties, a bunch of people were there that day... there are some fun chutes so close to the piste, so easy to get to!

This winter I'll be up at Niseko all winter, learning about giving backcountry tours, so we'll see how I feel about the area after 4 months of snowboarding the same terrain over, and over... Probably hungering for something steeper! ;\)

First I've got to pick up soft bindings and boots to try in the powder... ah, money.

edit: The Nishimori glend in Appi is DELICIOUS... when there's only about 1.5metres of snow and they don't open the lift. If you have snowshoes, like I did last season, then it's tons of powder all for you... I must have climbed up that glend at least 10 times in two days.

edit-2: Also, one of the gondolas has an incredible steep powder run underneath. Of course, you're not *supposed* to go there, but.... I have pleasant memories of falling a lot there last season while I was working on not being scared of snowboarding steep powder :p

If you are talking about courses and not heading off piste then Happo.

If you are talking great lift access offpiste then noz but be carefull.

If you want BC access then almost any resort in Hakuba but I like goryu and happo mid winter and tsugaike from april on.