Yesterday was ours. Great fun. I'll put up some photos when I've sorted them, and if some are any good.

Ours is small and relatively insignificant, but the entire community, all ages, is into into it. The best part for me is there was an afternoon and evening of public drinking, but no drunks, no aggro. Children roaming free and groups of youths all having a good time. Two elderly policemen smiling benignly at a community policing itself. Magic.

Young people taking their culture seriously.

xdsc0122copyll8.jpg

A true prfessional at work. People queueing to buy crushed ice and chocolate bananas.

xdsc0131copygb7.jpg

The Obanazawa hat-dance team. It's a work song, and totally infectious. I love it.

xdsc0140copygk9.jpg

Hat-dancers of all ages.

xdsc0176copyja3.jpg

Team dancing.

xdsc0182copylu9.jpg

More blondes in Japan than in Scandiwegia.

xdsc0202copygl9.jpg

It's over. She and I were on the roof for an ace view of the fireworks. Oishida had it's annual traffic jam at the end of the event.

Obon is brilliant. It's a celebration of the community and an opportunity to sell 400 cups of crushed ice at 200 Yen ;\)

i went to two of the big tohoku festivals this year. but they happened in the beginning of the month. nebuta was great, but the real star is kanto. i also was able to get in the last day of hanagasa here in yamagata. not bad, but a little pedestrian (pardon the pun) after seeing the others.

Thats a great trip Daver, did the same thing too and youre on the money with Akita's Kanto. Thats sweet! The red glow of that long street is wicked. Kanto is in my top 3 of matsuri's here - Nebuta is overrated but Aomori is beautiful, especially along the harbor. We drank sake in the park and threw a frisbee hardly breaking a sweat. Loved it, no humidity (at least when I was there). Good microbrewery there too. So many Japanese hippies at those festivals eh \:\)