Stuff that is just brilliant in Japan (and you only really notice when you are out of Japan)

Actually I think even expensive homes here are lower quality than basic housing in the UK. Mansions may be a different story.

Somehow the teenagers here seem to find something to do which doesn't involve vandalism. OK, a small number may ride stupid noisy bikes, but thats about the extent of it. I wonder how they spend their time actually.

I don't understand leaving the door unlocked. If you are not in, they shouldn't go in your house. If you are in, you can leave it unlocked or let them ring the bell. Its not just burglary, people can come in and rape too, I think you better lock the door.

Seperate issue: People not wearing shoes in the house! Thats the best.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many countries, Eastern Europe and the Far East in particular, have "brutalist" concrete blocks of flats without the social problems you tend to get in them in the UK. This suggests that the problem is not with the architecture. As a parallel, Spike Lee's films about drug dealers usually show them living in run-down but attractive-looking townhouses.

In Britain, a lot of the Wimpey and Barrett type developer houses aren't much cop. They all have similar designs though, usually mock Georgian or mock Tudor, which makes the estates easy on the eye. Much easier on the eye than typical Japan neighbourhoods, it must be said. Monbiot from the Guardian did a thing on tv a few months back and found that a lot of the houses fail blower door tests. In the worst ones, the loft insulation wasn't even rolled out! In an efficient house in Britain's climate, a UK style central heating system would be overkill. You'd hardly have it on.

In Japan, you can get very efficient new houses. The problem is that you've got to ask the right people for one and the upfront cost is generally a bit more. Like efficient cars though, most people don't appreciate the value of having one. They get sidetracked by other bells and whistles. Since houses also depreciate quickly, there's also less incentive to pay more for better windows, more insulation, etc.

40" CRT eh? These days I could probably sue you if I broke my back while stealing it...will consult with my lawyer and perhaps pay you a visit shortly ;\)

There's a small community of homeless people living in a park in Sendai. Their tents are all lined up discreetly and neatly in a corner, up against a big hedge. They keep the site immaculate. I guess they have a roster to tidy up, and dump the garbage etc.

as for service, western countries = customer is always right. japan = retailer is always right. but they will be very polite in explaining this to you. YEAH!

as for crime, true break ins are not common in the rural communities, but are they back home? there is indeed inner city problems in the city areas, perhaps not like back home, but then again back home organized crime isn't nearly the same institution it is here. hmmmmmm?

drugs, don't be so quick to suggest there is no drug problem in japan, there is, however most people are quick to say there is no problem at all, it is a different problem. kids at home take crystal meth, how many high school kids here take speed to help them keep up with the seemingly insurmountable study load. and isn't denying the problem's existence an even deeper problem.

there are plenty of wonderful things about this country, however why must these types of discussions always end up as a comparison to our previous homes? can't things be wonderful in their own right without our need to re-affirm our choices to expatriate?

Quote:
why must these types of discussions always end up as a comparison to our previous homes? can't things be wonderful in their own right without our need to re-affirm our choices to expatriate?

Course they can.
Its just something that will probably inevitably be brought up with a gang of people living in a different culture from where they grew up.
Totally harmless.
 Originally Posted By: daver
kids at home take crystal meth, how many high school kids here take speed to help them keep up with the seemingly insurmountable study load. and isn't denying the problem's existence an even deeper problem.

My ex- feeds speed to No1 son to get him to keep up his high school work load. I don't know how much it happens here, but it's an epidemic in the west.

Growing up in London, around 16-22 years old pretty much everyone I knew was doing E and smoking draw. A lower % did speed, acid, coke, meth. no-one doing heroin.

This is one of the reasons I dont want to go back to London and bring up my kids there. It cannot be any worse here even in Tokyo.

I'd say Japan is an excellent place to bring up children. All of the children that I teach, except two, are lovely. The marriage of the exceptional two's parents has just fallen over. Wife vs. mother-in-law, with husband being mummies boy.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
There's a small community of homeless people living in a park in Sendai. Their tents are all lined up discreetly and neatly in a corner, up against a big hedge. They keep the site immaculate. I guess they have a roster to tidy up, and dump the garbage etc.

they should go and have a word with the gypsy's back home, anytime they arrive, the place is a bomb site within days!!!

Why is the little or no insulation in Japanese houses? (well in Tokyo region anyway) In winter time the house is freezing, it reminds me of being a kid when all we had was a coal fire in the living room.....except without the coal fire
 Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
 Originally Posted By: cal
 Quote:
The absence of aggressive adolescents is the main reason

Spot on.
I want to know where all the aggression is coming from.

Unless you happen to be homeless in which case you're fair game!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22204169-401,00.html

thats sick. I wonder why somebody would actually wanna do that. Like what's NOT going through their head to make them stop and think about "is this right or wrong"

What I am finding out now as a homeroom teacher is how a few parents of students in my homeroom hardly know anything about their kids - they dont raise them, I facking do wakaranai.gif They dont check up on their studies, dont go into their rooms, dont discipline them (properly), and they wonder why they have bad grades crazy.gif ...but at least theyre in the minority here...my old school...so glad to be outta there! \:D
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Why is the little or no insulation in Japanese houses? (well in Tokyo region anyway) In winter time the house is freezing, it reminds me of being a kid when all we had was a coal fire in the living room.....except without the coal fire

I grew up in a house like that.

This house is fully insulated, double glazed, centrally heated and air conditioned. We have cyber dunnies, wireless network throughout and a roof heater to melt the snow. It's lightweight with a steel frame, and earthquake resistant. The fit and finish is immaculate. Very comfortable, summer and winter.

Yeah, you're up north, so I did think it would be like that. Even although it never snows here (I have only seen snow fall and lie once and it was gone by morning) its still cold in winter, especially in the house. I don't understand why they don't just insulate them properly. I asked a builder friend of mies and he said that the foreman on the job would often tell them to reduce the amount of insulation they put in. They apparently think that insulation would make the house hotter in summer!! If there was proper insulation then electric bills would be ;ess as the air con wouldn't have to be on for so long, just cool the room/ house and the insulation would keep the cold in, just like a Thermos flask. Whatever the temp is inside, it will keep the temp like that for a fair amount of time

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Could be, but the reason given was that they didn't want the houses to be too hot in summer.

it works both ways, keeps the heat in during the winter months and does the same for the air con everyone constantly pumps all summer long. can't say the open door policy for shops does much good though.