Extremely overweight people (the ones who inflict it on themselves)

projects 2 and 3 sound good. maybe combine them somehow into a longer thing??

the concept of suing macca's isn't that ridiculous. the lawyers on here could explain the basis of a tort suit better than me, but i would think there is some merit in a claim. you could argue that the food is known to be fattening, and mcdonalds had a duty of care to protect consumers from this.

i don't agree with this, but i could see how a case could be framed. it is similar to the tobacco lawsuits.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like project 3.

Keeping a diary of each meal is a good idea. They should do this for at least a week and also include the snacks in between. Then, an exercise they need to go find out:

a) what was the colorie count

B) the sodium content

c) the sugar content

Could be a bit hard to find, but giving them horrorible facts of excessive sugar and sodium ingestion can put them off. Then again you need to define excessive.

I presume they would then try to change their diet, for say a month.

Follow that up with a BMI reading for before the project and the BMI for after.

CB, I did a similar study with the kids in the high school I worked at back home. As I was a Youth Worker, it was all the bad ass kids that we were working with, and although they weren't investigating their nutrition, we were foccussing on how to modify their class behaviour so that it would be more beneficial for them AND the rest of the class they were disrupting. We had them do food diaries for 2 weeks, telling them that they should put everything they ate in their no matter what it was and when they ate it. It came as no real surprise that the flashpoint classes came directly after the seesions in the day when they consumed all manner of sugary shite.

The bad classes were : Period 1, 3, 5 and 6

This coincided with : eating sweets and drinking fizzy drinks etc in the morning b4 school (P1)

at interval (P3)

and at Lunch Time (P5)

after each of these times when they ate, their behaviour was off the wall, and we concluded that a good reason for this was that they had just ate loads of E numbers, preservatives, sugar and additives that can all have an adverse effect on the pupils behaviour. Unfortunately we weren't able to convince them to change their diet to see if this would've had any noticeable effect on their behaviour.

I definitely think that schools shouldn't be allowed to sell high fat, high sugar or high salt foods. I also think that there should be an exclusion zone around schools were shops and mobile vendors cannot sell this type of food. Usually, at home, there is either a Fish & Chip shop, kebab shop or greasy spoon right outside the school, where inevitably the kids will go and eat

E102 Tartrazine, Tubby, that's what got them going:

"The Hyperactive Childrens Support Group believe that a link exists between this additive and hyperactive behavioural disorders in children.

Whilst being a very commonly used colour in the UK its use is banned in Norway and Austria."

Commonly linked to hyperactivity in many documentaries I've seen.

CB,

Famous persons who were vegetarian? Don't cite Linda McCartney.

what's wrong with mrs macca?

tubby - you prob already know this, but it was interesting to see in supersize me, and in jamie oliver's school dinners, that when they cut junk food and sugary drinks out of kids' diets, their behaviour calmed down immensely. as soon as they 'treated' the kids with some junk food, they started bouncing off the walls again

540 calories in a Big Mac isn't all that bad. Check this baby out!

http://www.ichibanya.co.jp/menu/detail.html?fm=10121&fg=0&fc=1

1,411 to you sir! Eat one of them everyday and you'll be on tv saying "Mai-uu!" in no time.

Some US schools sell exclusive rights to sell soft drinks on campus to Coke or Pepsi. That's how they pay their bills. Coke and Pepsi also both got caught recently selling tap water as mineral water. It's one of Del Boy Trotter's schemes from Only Fools and Horses. That's the level of business expertise their bonus babies are operating with!

A lot of books have picked up on it, but the problem is not so much fats or sugars, but all those evil distilled and hyperprocessed ones made from maize, soy, or whatever. I think that's much more a problem that the actual number of calories. Look at French people and the two big meals they eat. They don't get fat because their calories aren't modern processed ones. Indeed, when I were a lad, me and all my mates were raised on stodge like chips, white bread, mince and dumplings, etc. None of us had salads or any veg that hadn't been throughly boiled. There was none of that "five a day" stuff.

Yeah spook, I found that stuff out as well. The problem that Jamie Oliver had was that the school was producing good healthy food, but the shops down the road were still selling their donner kebab and chips, Curry sauce and chips and whatever and chips!! Pies and pasties (much as I crave them over here) are not good for you. Its also all the hydrogenated shite that they put into food, trans fats etc, no positive nutritional value, just in for preservative purposes or other such non-nutritional idea. These should be made illegal, they have no poistive in being included so why does the government allow food companies to use them??

Mr W, you don't need to be eating salad all the time, in fact you can eat the same food if you just think about it a bit more, add a bit veg and reduce the fat. Homemade hamburgers are definitely the best kind, also make your own pizza using wholemeal baguettes, small changes to our old favourites and what was a heart attack waiting to happen is soon healthy eating

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
540 calories in a Big Mac isn't all that bad. Check this baby out!

http://www.ichibanya.co.jp/menu/detail.html?fm=10121&fg=0&fc=1

1,411 to you sir! Eat one of them everyday and you'll be on tv saying "Mai-uu!" in no time.

Finally someone pointed it out!
These people that won't eat maccas have no problem eating Coco's katsu curries or Katsudon's .. @ 1400-1500 you could have 2 value meals!

I always get the half size at Coco's if I must eat from there.

"eating sweets and drinking fizzy drinks etc in the morning b4 school"

BEFORE school?

I remember my school lunches were stody affairs but I actually quite liked them. There was tuck shop at morning break and I remember buying some crisps every now and again. But I cant imagine drinking fizzy drinks before school What are the parents on.

It's not just the calories, though calories do steal the limelight. It's also the fat content, the sodium content and whether the fat is saturated or unsaturated.

You can be your life the fat used to fry the fries in macs is saturated. So too all other fast food joints. They are there to make money at the expense of your health. If you like to pay for that then all well and good.

Many people have little choice but to eat junk food it's all they can afford. Obese people are demographically the lowest income earners. Priorities for them are food on the table (the cheaper the better value??) and pints in the pub at weekends. Hang out at a council estate anywhere in England and see what I mean.

yeah gigsy, before school. They are across the shops getting breakfasts of donuts, Irn Bru (a bright orange fizzy drink from scotland for any non-UK ppl), bacon rolls (which I love), crisps or chocolate. The parents, well some of them are "on" stuff but the majority aren't, they just give them money in the morning and send them on their way. Obviously, give a kid some money for his lunch and whats he gonna buy?? sweets, crisps and fizzy juice!!

Parents should be giving them packed lunches, no money. at least then they control what their kids are eating

Perhaps these could shame some fatties into losing weight.

Quote:
An interactive table and chairs that can change colour has been developed by Japanese researchers.

On display at the Siggraph show, the Fuwapica furniture uses sensors embedded in the table-top to work out the colour of items placed upon it.

The colour of the stools then change to match the colour of whatever has been placed on the sensitive table-top.

Sensors in the stools also work out the weight of anyone sat on them - heavier people are treated to darker shades.

Tartrazine caused ezchema in my sister. It's not banned in the UK but I think people are aware of it. A lot of the orange soft drinks have labels on the front saying "no tartrazine".

CB,

Love projects 2 and 3 too. Makes me wish I had "real" classes again.

I don't think project one is too heavy but they might be influenced by the debate statements that they will see as your opinions. A modification could be to give them some examples of debate topics on another subject as a language model and the let them come up with their own food related issues to debate. After they've done all the reseach and prep work, you'll be surprised at the maturity of the topics they come up with.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
cheers, one more thing I thought of is have students research a famous person and why they might choose to be vegetarians/vegans, but I personally could never be vegan.

thats a good idea. I wonder what Hitler's motivations were?

as for being vegan, i would like to be, but there is just too few options for vegetarians in Japan as it is. I have nothing against eating eggs or dairy, as long as the animals are treated well.

However, in this day and age, there are just too many reasons not to eat meat, especially red meat and fish.

I love meat too much to give it up, a big hunk of red meat just tastes toooooo good to stop eating. I feel like I'm half veggie over here bcos I can't get my teeth into any decent bacon!!

Being Vegan is a noble cause. But the vegan diet can lead to difficiencies in minerals such as calcium, iodine, and vitamins. Would taking supplements for these difficiencies contradict the vegan lifestyle in that these supplements need to be manufactured through their various mysterious methods which invariably would include animal products.

And how do you get on with out leather shoes. Don't say plastic, cos they make your feet smell.

a balanced vegan diet has no deficiencies, except for vitamin B12. That can be easily overcome (in north america, at least) by eating fake meats and soy milk that is fortified with it.

Even above that, there is a type of nutritional yeast vegans use in cooking that is high in B12, and can be ordered from Tengu foods.

Any diet can have deficiencies if you are not careful, the modern american and japanese ones not withstanding. To level the accusation at a vegan diet is perhaps justified, if one eats mostly junk food.

i know health and unhealthy vegans, just as i know healthy and unhealth onmivores.

But the arguement can easily go the other way, and excess protien consumption is hardly a good thing.

As for shoes, i have no problems. Nowadays, most skateboard shoes are non-leather anyways. Fake suedes, rubber caps, hemp uppers...

Canvas Chucks are pretty much vegan (unless you are anal about glue).

I used to think leather was more environmentally friendly than plastic, but then i found out what the leather is treated with to keep it from rotting.

And yes, it is impossible to be 100% 'cruelty free'. You WILL end up usin something made from animals. Sugar is refined using bone.

But the point of it is to try to reduce how much suffering and envrionmental damage we contribute to, even if reaching zero is an impossibility.

Surely we can create a better world than what we live in now.

We live and learn. For instance I found out how frogs were killed to make the stir fry we have for snacks. They are skinned alive. I will never have frog again and I will ask my friends to never have it again either and to spread the word to those they care about.

What we do in this life counts towards the scorecard for the next. The more indiffernt we are now, the more we will have to do later.