GG,

Indo already answered the FV question - but overall, good stuff.

The new LCD technology is definately better than the older LCD technology. The older LCD technology tended to smear action (slow pixels). The older plasma technology was very suseptable to burn-ins and tended to be less sharp.

The only downside with current LCD technology is that they still can't get the rich deep colors (especially blacks) of Plasmas. But the resolution appears to be brighter and sharper. Sony have done a good job of making LCD's watchable (as has Sharp).

The downside of newer plasmas is the heat and power consumption. LCD prices have been dropping, but Plasma tend to be cheaper at the 42" or bigger catagories. Since yours was practically free - You are GOLDEN!

Mmmm... given the choice between a $12000 50" plasma and a free 46" LCD, I'm not sure I'd even enquire about the relative merits of each system. A no-brainer.

Strong work, GG. You are the envy of us all.

Thank you thank you. It was nothing really. I did nothing. (Though if I had known I might have thought about breaking my plasma a little earlier lol.gif)

Not sold on the idea of a blu-ray recorder, I can't think when I would really take advantage of it. I think a fine HDD recorder will be enough. (They certainly should have given me a free PS3 with the tv though, I was quite disappointed at that).

I would have turned around and sold the LCD and bought a plasma. I'm still a huge plasma fan. I've done a ton of research on the topic (I work in the industry, kinda).

But a free TV, is a free TV - can't complain about that - and besides, G.G. is a helluva guy! (but he's a little gungy)

As I said I had no idea really on the plasma/lcd thing before last week. But I definitely prefer this new easily over my plasma, so I'm a happy camper.

My plasma used to heat the room up, don't know about this new one yet. Not noticeable for sure. And no box - everything is all in the display unit. Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine, not quite as sexy. They had an outdated tv break on them and got a new equivalent (actually better) replacement for nothing. This was a few years back. Perhaps we have discovered Sonys friendly point and should remember.

You must be well pleased with your deal!

My Sony tv has broken down twice in eighteen months. I got in s/hand with no guarantee. Its only seven years old. The repair bloke just said that they break more often in the sticks due to the humidity.

Our Sony video broke as well, but that's because my daughter stuffed about nine DVDs into it.

A mate of mine had his flat screen replaced for nothing after his missus wiped the screen with the wrong type of cleaner.

They must be getting soft - replace after it was wiped with the wrong type of cleaner! There are lessons to be learnt here.

I always had this image of Sony being reliable, but am hearing quite a few stories to suggest otherwise of late.

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey. It has taken me the best part of the day to get this thing set up. It's tomorrow already! Looks pretty snazzy though and I've got it all working and tested. It's cool that it can record two things at the same time and of course all in hi-vision goodness.

OK so there's some football on now is there? Beer and football I think before retiring for the day.