OK this weekend. I'm happy it is Friday afternoon.

I will be near Hakkone this weekend with friends. I hope the weather will be fine. Then I have Monday holiday also.

What will you do?

oyuki- they serve food you know. you don't have to pack your own lunch. Don't you want to hang out after you check out your love hotel and eat ramen in the same room? slurping and all?

i honestly can't believe people eat in love hotels. As soon as our business is satisfied... we want nothing more than to get out of there.

although the one we go to has big screen tv's, jacuzzies, and greek antiquity murals.

We're married, have our own place.. but love hotels are just plain fun... while you're in the mood anyway. Not quite an eating establishment, imo. well... you know what I mean.

Party on, kids...

(can you imagine love hotels, the kind where you never even speak to the front desk, in America? Holy teenage disease-fest-party) Some things just wouldn't work outside Japan.

Oh, other plans this weekend... sculpting my own kitchen table. Mmmmm wood. Big old slabs of wood. My table top will be 150 cm/ 60cm/ 10 cm... all one cut, from one tree. sickness.

None of this layers-of-strips glued together, then planed. This is one solid, 200 year-old cedar tree, bark stripped, but worm-holes very present. The legs too are from the same tree and are also slabs. (70cm/30cm/4cm) worm-holes also present.

Something you can smash walnuts on with a hammer and not worry about... Shades of red, brown, and tan.

Materials alone cost me nearly san man. This piece would sell for about ju-ni man in the furniture shop.

You gotta love Japanese cedar. Fricking beautiful.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
you do a lot of carpentry? Sweet! I love the smell of fresh wood and wood chips as you work it smile.gif

Used to... back when things were easy. Now, in japan, it seems that everything is a pain in the ass if you don't have your own million dollar shop. The whole concept of just working in your garage, or even out in the yard is gone. I just moved into a new apartment this week. And there is ZERO space to do **** all. Wash your car? where? Not to mention the zero water-spickets or electiricity outlets. I fcking hate it. Can't even use a **** hose.

That, and my now-recently retired father is building his log-cabin back home. God I want to be there.

Back home, before Japan, I built my bookcase (all log/slabs- no power tools), my dining table (also cedar, though not slabs), my porch x3, my father's dream garage (think 8 cars), the well shed, and even my own truck (actually, that was an on-going 8-year project).

Everything is a pain in the ass in Japan. It's too f'cking small. And everybody is scared of something. I f'cking hate that. And, when I do venture off and do it myself, they all freak out. "Oh my god! Daijobu?"

STFU... Why is this strange to you?

Well samurai, I'm going to have a 3 car garage when the turd next door gets his shed off our land later this year. Then I'm going to have 200 volt power, and I'm going to build a workbench and I'm going to have all my tools gathered together in the same place. And I'm going to be very happy.

I'm sooo envious of you soubs...

Note* you have to wait for your turd next door to get his shed off your land.

Waaaay too small of a country.

Nonetheless, I'm stoked for ya. I sooo want a shop.

We have enough space here, no problemo. There's been a land reorganisation, and he's a sociopath and the hold-out who has stuffed all the neighbours with re-building.

It's been 5 years since I sold my house and lost my workshop. It's been tough.

You and Daver must get over here this winter, and I'll take you to Onikobe.