Qualified vs unqualified English teachers in Japan

I was wondering in another thread - do qualified teachers actually get a different kind of job than the unqualified masses that go to Japan to teach? I suppose maybe like the job you have got CB, some posh schools that want the real deal?

I might be talking rubbish, don't shout.

Acutally, from what I have seen in my research - yes! I have met some teachers here that are making 80k and up at the higher end schools. These are guys that grad from top schools and have masters in teaching. I think the japanese school girl fetish or some other alterior motive leads them here, but there are here. the problem that I see is that the majority of the schools go down market. I'm thinking there may be room for an upscale "Luis Vuitton" school of english with top instructors. and if that doesn't work, I'll have to change strategy and go with binkini clad teachers.....

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
Acutally, from what I have seen in my research - yes! I have met some teachers here that are making 80k and up at the higher end schools.

80K and up? Where?

Experienced, qualified teachers at international schools can get packages like that, especially if you include the private health insurance, paid flights home each year and housing allowances. They are not "English conversation" teachers.

From The American School in Tokyo.

"The starting base salary for new teachers varies depending on professional experience and academic credentials and is highly competitive among international schools. Starting salary range from ¥5,924,000 (BA/BS with two years of experience) to ¥7,490,000 (Ph.D with five years of experience). The maximum experience credit is five years and we have 18 steps on our pay scale with approximately ¥200,000 increase per step. In addition, Living and Housing Differential Allowances are paid on a one-per-family basis."

Im so busy with school its not even funny. My base salary is 6.6 million per year (including bonus) plus another 100man or so for various teate (手当て), club money, research money, housing allowance etc...Im only 31 as well and know what Im making for the rest of my life...def at one of the best paid schools in Kansai and also teach the best kids. Sorry its so short I just dont have time to add more details...next break \:\(

man I thought you were on way more than that CB! It's going to settle down or is it pretty full on for the rest of your time in that school?

Experienced qualified teachers can those good jobs but it's also who you know (isn't it everywhere?) to get in and often people without teaching degrees (but with alot of experience... like CB) get the jobs.

The thing I've noticed lately while looking for some part time work to fill up my free time to add to my "Parole" funds is that companies are wanting more and more from the teachers but are offering less.

They want TESOL and those kinds of certificates, and specific degrees such as Early Childhood Education yet are only willing to pay the minimum wage of a measly 250K for the specific degree, when a teacher with no specific qualification can earn the same amount!

you know its by age mate...wonder how many people my age are earing that much...or more as teachers? I wonder how many "older and more experienced" teachers are getting less than me. I clear 7million/year easily mate but work like a dawg crazy.gif

Man you guys are doing alright!! I don't know anyone working in Hirafu who earns that kind of cash except some of the company owners (and they probably earn a whole lot more). Even management positions here you are lucky to be offered 3 mill. One friend was recently offered a property manager position (quite a lot of work) with a starting wage of only 190k per month (he declined). Sure we have nice lifestyles at a ski resort (and living costs are probably lower than in a major city) but man you guys are reaping it in compared to us...

Try working for an NPO here, what's great for your conscience isn`t so great for your bank account!!! I am increasingly prostituting myself out to company advisory pannels now as its rather difficult otherwise. Luckily with "Cap and Trade" teetering on the edge of being put into practice there is a fair bit of work out there at mo.

Ger,

I think most people have already answered it, but at the top schools here, they do pay pretty well. But it's not just conversational stuff - this is teaching native speakers the real deal. If I started my own school, i'd probably be hiring at that range to get the quality. CB is a great example of what is needed here.

Originally Posted By: thursday
love money or love what you do.
get disappointed if you love both and can't realize it.

For that kinda money you guys work too hard.

Youre right Thursday. Im not sure what field youre in, prolly financial or law, and dont have a salary thats even half of yours, but I love what I do. That's most important to me. I wanted to stay in Japan and teach but the top schools/positions are so limited...mainly to yearly contracts of 3 years or so. I got so sick and tired, well except for 4 months off/year at my last school, of contracts as you never knew where youd be in a year and job hunting/house hunting isnt my piece of cake. Bushy has been one of my best mates for a long time and has seen it all...truly. My time might be limited to making 1 capucchino a day and sitting down for only a few minutes/day but these kids are the best Ive ever seen, as are the teachers here and our programs...maybe thats why its an international school...

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
Ger,
I think most people have already answered it, but at the top schools here, they do pay pretty well. But it's not just conversational stuff - this is teaching native speakers the real deal. If I started my own school, i'd probably be hiring at that range to get the quality. CB is a great example of what is needed here.

I dunno about that mate but I work hard and love what I do...Worked so hard on my Japanese from day one since moving here but am just a lucky bloke I think. Right place right time \:\) Hope job hunting on your end goes well!!
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
Man you guys are doing alright!! I don't know anyone working in Hirafu who earns that kind of cash except some of the company owners (and they probably earn a whole lot more). Even management positions here you are lucky to be offered 3 mill. One friend was recently offered a property manager position (quite a lot of work) with a starting wage of only 190k per month (he declined). Sure we have nice lifestyles at a ski resort (and living costs are probably lower than in a major city) but man you guys are reaping it in compared to us...

From the time I have spent in Japan it hasn't struck me as being the cheapest place to live.....not outrageously expensive either but
surely on 7mil you wouldn't be living the high life and I could only think that on 3mil you would be doing it pretty rough????

I would have thought a PHD with 5 yrs exp 7 1\2 mil would be the minimum.

halfmachine, where were you? Cost of living is vastly different between Tokyo and other more rural areas. I spend nothing on rent (350 bucks a month!) here in Hiroshima, and in general food is pretty cheap. Australia is much more expensive. I see that every year when I go back. Tokyo is a different story though. The other thing to consider is that we only get taxed 10 percent of income here, so what you take home from a 7 mill salary is much more than for the equivalent in Aus.

CB, you worked your arse off with your Japanese study and deserve being where you are now. You rip at interviews and get them eating out of your hands! thumbsup.gif Don't be so modest ;\)

>CB, you worked your arse off with your Japanese study and deserve being where you are now. You rip at interviews and get them eating out of your hands! Don't be so modest

mate, I never told you I offered all of the interviewees (all 16 of em) 2man each for the job ;\) :p lol.gif Thanks though!

BP,

I thought taxation might be the big difference....we do get taxed pretty heavily here in OZ.

Most of the time I was up in Hokkaido and I never really looked into rent etc, just the usual economic indicators like maccas and beer. ;\)

Also, how long ago were you here? The Aussie dollar's weakness against the yen made it very expensive to be here on dollars earned in Aus up until about a year ago. IT has now reversed though, with the Aussie dollar going for about 104 yen. So your frame of reference might be quite different now too.

CB's Japanese is pretty good - Mine is lame. I should have studied harder from day one - i'm finding that all the jobs for 20M and up all require dual fluency....DAMN! Perhaps I'm doomed to admit defeat and head back to my country of origin with nothing other than my souvenir shirt "I skiied Hakuba and all I got was this F%$ing t-shirt"

....SJA

Originally Posted By: halfmachine
BP,
I thought taxation might be the big difference....we do get taxed pretty heavily here in OZ.
Most of the time I was up in Hokkaido and I never really looked into rent etc, just the usual economic indicators like maccas and beer. ;\)

Beer is certainly not a good indicator for living costs in Japan as beer is stupidly expensive when compared to say spirits (which are stupidly cheap).

Between us my wife and I earn only around 6 mill a year but can easily live off only one of our wages. We own our house so we don't pay rent which helps of course. In Aus I earned more than what both of us earn here but frankly my lifestyle here is so much better it just doesn't compare. Why work hard all year to be able to afford the overseas ski trip when you can just live there? \:D

SJA, Im pretty sure youve got a little money tucked away somewhere yeah? With your background have you thought about studying at a school for 6 months or so to get your Jlingo to a decent level? Yamasa in Nagoya has a decent reputation and sure some in Tokyo do too. You could give that a go and take the prof test in Dec. One thingt to think about ;\)