Could be worse, I could post some photos. smile.gif

There's a break around here that only works a couple of times a year. It's a looooong left that works on a large NE swell. We scored it on Saturday with only a dozen out. Nice.

More huge swells comming. Tonight we will get some 100km/h winds again. I heading up the coast for work, with board strapped on top.

\:D \:D

• 2 weeks later...

First attempt failed. A couple of the tugs tow cables broke. they will try again tonight at high tide. They did manage to move it a few meters before the cables broke.

here's a photo of the ship getting hammered in the storm.

SELKIRK_SETTLER_4.jpg

I did wonder about the photo's authenticity. The whether looks a bit calm for that storm we had. Not a lot of visability during the storm.

Oh well, cool photo anyway

The oil that has escaped so far is from the propellor housing. Not that I know much about ships but I think that it would not be a lot of oil. Most of the fuel and oil have been moved to other tanks on board higher up and in a 'safer' position.

I really hope they get it off tonight I,m sick of seeing it and hearing about it already.

BTW... Did you know that it is a Japanese owned ship and the owners will be paying for the whole salvage operation? It's already up to $million. Aus That's a lot of Yen.

imagine being in the captain's shoes. not sure if it was his fault for not moving away from the shore or not, but i can't imagine he'll be put in charge of another ship anytime in the near future!

Apparently there was a stuff up with the ships ballast arrangement.

As all those ships are empty they sit up quite high in the water, offering good purchase for the 100km/h + winds. Also with the ship being so high the propellor was coming high and dry out of the water when it was ridding the swells.

Thats how it lost the battle. Quite a monumental stuff up really.