Anyone with any experience with the police here in Japan - bad or good?

In that Niseko Probs thread they were talking about there not being any police in Hirafu. Doesn't really surprise me as I hardly ever see any around where I live - and when I do it is usually catching speeding cars and waving kids across the road in a morning (job done by Mr Lollipop in the UK). Wonder how many there are relatively for the population compared to overseas.

I heard cops were rude and arrogant here but I rode a 50cc honda cub for a while and had mostly good experiences with them. (If you're on a scooter you'll inevitably get pulled over from time to time because the speed limit is 30 km). They tended to let me off more often than not.

Originally Posted By: thursday
and how could a 50cc scooter go faster than 30?

Easy. My old Honda 50 could be coaxed up to about 40mph, and faster downhill, by dint of riding everwhere flat stick. Until the crankshaft broke. Oops.

I'm just back from the koban, to apply for an international driving licence. It took 1/2 hour of faffing around to get the paperwork filled in, but it was all very friendly. They didn't like my UK driving licence: issued in 1977, expiry in 2022.

Yes, I remember that very well. It's very rare a beaurocratic foul-up works in your favour. Those dates always cause me problems. Pen pushers hate them because if everthing lasted 55 years, they'd all be out of jobs.

They struggle a bit with headwinds and climbs, but can be lot of fun. My brother, who was a bit braver than me, could take a local roundabout without lifting, flipping from one side to the other and back, footrests dragging.

I've passed cops on my scooter (50cc) doing about 50km's.

They never give a shit.

You're splitting soon eh Indo? Maybe your luck will continue till then. For a year or two I wondered where all the cops were, then suddenly it seemed like I was getting pulled over every week!

Thing is I KNOW where the cops are and I avoid those areas (because I don't have to go that way!) So I hope my luck runs, but these days I'm not traveling far on it anyway.

One thing I have noticed in Nagoya is that the cops have less of a presence than they do in tokyo and other places I've been to.. Maybe that's why Aichi has the worst driving record in the contry.

I got caught for speeding once on a road that is not well known as a hot spot for them. They were fairly friendly but I found the whole "get into the cop car" routine rather strange - as if they were trying to intimidate you.

Originally Posted By: halfmachine
So they took you away or was it just whilst they processed the ticket??

Standard prcedure.. They throw you in the back of their car and process the ticket or interrogate you from there! Really strange eh.. you have access to the headlock choke!