Hi there,

My wife and myself are planning to go to Japan during late Dec-Jan. Which will be our last destination of a 5 week holiday starting in South Africa, Paris, then Japan. And i was wondering if anyone could please help with recommendations, hints tips etc.

I know im asking way too much here, but here's my concerns:

- dont want anywhere with too many tourists

- my wife is a complete first timer for snow

- im intermediate-adv snowboarder

- never experienced japan before and would like place with nice culture and heritage as well as decent resort

- a place that can offer activities other than snow, incase the wife does not enjoy herself, while hubby shreds in on the mtn \:\)

- i have all my gear, board etc. my wife doesnt have anything, should we buy our gear locally or just hire in japan.

sorry for such an odd post. thanks

Hi kuro wave.gif

South Africa > Paris > Japan... that sure will be a varied holiday!

You can rent gear practically anywhere so no need to worry about that.

I would look into Nozawa Onsen & Shiga Kogen if I were you. Both will fit your snow needs, as well as the culture/heritage (well at least Nozawa will). Nozawa has the onsen and nice village, Shiga Kogen has those little cheeky onsen soaking monkeys.

Do a search on these forums on some of that lot and more.

Good luck

Some of the less well known places in Hokkaidough also get Hokkaidough snow. Kiroro and Rusutsu are popular. Furano is getting more popular and will suit the wife.

Hokkaidough ain't just about the N word.

cheers for the replies.

just been looking online, are the guest houses in japan ok accomodation wise? do they heaters of some sort in the rooms?

or do you think that i would be better off staying in a hotel?

How old are you soubriquet, if you don't mind me asking ;\)

With the requests you put up top there I'd go to places that aren't the "main" ones that you see mentioned all the time on here. There are literally hundreds of places.

Originally Posted By: kuro
Hi there,
- my wife is a complete first timer for snow

This is the most important aspect to consider when choosing your next snow holiday. It will mean the difference of you being able to spend the rest of your life chasing the powder dream to possibly never going again.
Rules
1) Your wife should be always warm. Even if you have to freeze your balls off with some 20 year old flouro gear you picked up from a yard sale your wife will be fitted with the latest highest rating designer range in snow wear available.
2) Lessons. Pay the dollars straight up for private tuition. This also gives you a chance to head out by yourself which is priceless. You probably won't get to ski everyday unless she is really enjoying her lessons. Have a good chat to the instructor and make sure he is the right man for the job.
3) Don't expect first to last lifts. Expect to finish up after lunch on the mountain and then it's off to the shops.(take advantage of no. 2)
4)Warm clothes again. Pretty beanies and fashionable jackets. This time for non snowsport related activities.
5)Accommodation should be of a high standard and somewhere your wife will feel comfortable to sit and read a book (this may give you an opportunity to get another hour of skiing in), comfortable beds as futons don't cut it after a day on the slopes and it must be a level above what your usual hotel standard would be.
6)Alternative activities. Visit the snow monkeys if she's into wildlife or the temples and castles if she loves history. Otherwise a day in Nagano for some shopping and nice restaurants.

Hopefully after you have followed these steps she has taken to the sport. There is a rare breed out there who love it with the passion of all of us here. If she is like that, hold onto her forever
Good luck. I have seen many a good man fail. You are resposible here for your snow destiny.

Personally I think you should go to Niseko, for Australians its a great starting point to all things Japan with the safety net of many things Aussie.

The advantage here is there are english speaking instructors plus terrain that both of you will enjoy.

There are other activities like horse riding in the snow, snowmobiles etc.

- a place that can offer activities other than snow, incase the wife does not enjoy herself, while hubby shreds in on the mtn

errr..... no. Not Niseko. Not a lot going on there apart from the wild times of everybody's life.

Seriously look at Club Med Sahoro. If your wife gets really pissed off at trying to ski, she has something to fall back on.