When you are back in your country...

... do you find yourself talking about Japan much?

It's weird some of my friends are really interested and we talk about it a lot but with others it's as if I am living down the road but just haven't been there for a long time. I don't know if they just don't know what to ask, or are fed up of Japan talk or are jealous of whatever.

What about you?

Same here. I have one friend (or should I say acquantance) who has never EVER asked me anything about Japan - even though she knows I have lived here for a number of years. It's not like I want to always talk about Japan, but it's as if I am avoiding it. I find it all rather strange and uncomfortable even.

First time I went back I was pretty exited after two years in Japan and some kick-ass traveling. I've always been interested in hearing other people's travel stories so I figured I'd enlighten my friends in return. ..Nope. like BP said, don't talk unless asked.

Now, when I go home I try to talk about food, beer and hockey. The hockey part is a bit of a stretch these days, and some of my friends think anything other than Molson Canadain Lager tastes like piss... and that cheese should be wrapped in plastic and only eaten on pizza.

Seems to be the case for a lot of people, had that conversation myself with a few friends. I wonder why. I'm sure I'd be interested and it surely wouldn't be a banned topic. Then again perhaps if I were in their position maybe I wouldn't.

I don't know, I guess for a lot of people life just goes on in their little bubble. So even if you haven't been there and have been off having all these new experiences, they have stayed in their little closed world. People who stay put and don't get out themselves aren't as likely to be interested in whatever else is out there I reckon.

The hardest part I find is not telling all the stories I want to tell- those that would normally come up. It seems I am always reminded of something that occured during my travels and want to share it. But constantly telling those stories turns you into a "Story-topper." The dude who always upps your story. That sucks.

Yep same here. I do have some friends that are interested though. By now I know who is ok with it and who isn't. Shame really. It's not as if I want to be talking about Japan all the time, just strange that I need to almost avoid the subject.

Originally Posted By: big-will
Yep same here. I do have some friends that are interested though. By now I know who is ok with it and who isn't. Shame really. It's not as if I want to be talking about Japan all the time, just strange that I need to almost avoid the subject.

Id say most of my mates like to hear my stories bout Japan/traveling/life as an expat...but when I start to ask them Q's they tend to say, well, nothing has changed since HS or Uni and then the conversation dies down... confused.gif

Most of my friends don't really ask much but I don't ask them much either. Just the how are things? If they want to know something, they'd ask, but most of them have travelled and it's nothing new to them.

I don't like to talk about Japan unless I'm asked in fear of sounding like " This one time at band camp..."