Before I post this, don't get me wrong. I have lived in Japan for a long time now, and for the most part love the place. BUT, every now and then, I hear or read something that just makes me go "WTF?!"

I just read this article in the Mainichi Daily.

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070201p2a00m0na028000c.html

Quote:
Poll shows majority of Japanese oppose 'white-collar exemption' system

Seventy percent of people in Japan are opposed to a planned "white-collar exemption" system to exempt salaried workers from regulated work hours and abolish overtime pay, a Mainichi poll has found.

By age, 83 percent of male workers in their 20s and 30s -- groups believed to have relatively long working hours -- were opposed to the system. A total of 76 percent of women in their 20s were opposed to the system, along with 79 percent of women in their 40s.

WTF!? In most other countries doesn't it usually go the other way? The government or employees try to increase working hours for whatever reasons, and the employees kick up a stink about it. Why does it seem that many people in this country don't want less time at work (especially when they already put in overly long hours) and more time for themselves? wakaranai.gif I just don't get the mentality of some people in this country sometimes...

Doesn't make much sense to me either that. Though when I was working in a Japanese office I noticed some of them seemed to enjoy being there than being with their families.

yep, there are people like that at the school I work at now. It is really ****ed up. Especially when they have little kids. I understand that sometimes they prefer the peace and quiet of the office, but this is their family they are talking about.

Generally wouldnt it affect, or they think at least, their salary as they get a big chunk off of overtime pay? You cut that and they feel that their salary would be cut too though a simple re-negotiation (yeah, right :rolleyes: ) would fix that.

Besides, how many of those blokes do you think

actually wanna spend time with their families? :rolleyes: Prolly be harder to stop by a soap land if you finish up early...Umm, dear, we're outta soap, I'll be back in a little bit...

yep, all true. Was a good reminder of some of the things I'll never get my head around in this country. People here (in general) just don't seem to have any idea about how to enjoy their lives.

yep, and it is not "for the rest of my life" like everyone else at this place. One more year of that and I'm out - that being the main reason too! But I still get out of work as early as possible, and know how to enjoy my free time. That's my point bitch! ;\) :p

Wait a second. I might be missing something. They're opposing a "system to exempt salaried workers from regulated work hours and abolish overtime pay". I might be missing something, but doen't regulated working hours mean like -- 8:30 to 5:30 -- and if you work more than that, you're suppose to get overtime (at least in theory)? It seems to me that workers who are upposed to the plan are worried about having to work more hours with no overtime pay. That's why: "When asked to give reasons for opposing the system, 39 percent said it would take away limits against long working hours. Another 37 percent said it would lead to wage restrictions" The system would give everybody a "flex" schedule which would play out differently depending on the employer and company culture. Hense the aparent contradition that some people agree with it because it would give them more time with their families.

No, I was quoting EBC but I just used "" marks so I guess it seemed I was going skiing. So far I've only been out once (Takasu, which wasn't bad at all considering the overall lack of snow) but I've got a couple of trips coming up. I'll be in Kagura two weeks from today, hopefully Nozawa/Shiga beginning of March, then Washington State/Whistler at the end of March. Looking forward to that one!

Since i'm a 'company employee' perhaps I can shed some light on this. Salaried employees are paid much higher than hourly employees therefore they are exempt from overtime. They get paid to perform a job, however long it takes. Sure, they could walk out of the office at 5:30p everyday, but they wouldn't last long. So if suddenly, there was 'forced overtime pay' their salary would drop and they would be forced to work overtime EVERYDAY to ensure they kept the same salary. The more likely scenario will be same salaries and employees clocking out "ontime" on paper, but staying on to finish the job (or due to peer pressure). This puts more pressure on everyone.

I don't completely understand the cultural aspects at play (wives don't want thier husbands coming home early?) - but doesn't seem to be a popular idea.

the cure to this - Snowboarding.....thank you, and goodnight.

One of the things I dislike most about Japan is this ridiculous mindset that is so often seen in offices where people stay late for no other reason than to stay late. I used to feel bad about leaving (nearly) on time but do not now. I just feel sorry for some of my colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I was just reading about David Hicks, the Aussie guy who has been sitting in Guantanamo for the last 5 years without being charged with anything by the US government. Anyway, they have finally gotten around to charging him. Here are the charges:

Quote:
US evidence alleges Hicks committed attempted murder in violation of the law of war by directing small arms fire, explosives, or other means and methods, with the intent to kill persons of the US, Northern Alliance or other Coalition forces, while the accused was without combatant immunity as an unlawful enemy combatant.

The story is here...

WTF?!? violation of the law of war?? by directing small arms fire... ...with the intent to kill??? This is complete bollocks! So what were the US soldiers doing in Iraq? Trying to hold the enemy fighters' hands? They should charge the entire US forces in Iraq who fought thru to capture the country with the same charges and lock them all up for 5 years without fair trial. mad.gif The US authorities should get their heads out of their arses!

I like Japan but you have to remember it is basically a masochistic society where everyone is trying to out do each with how much they can suffer.

Kind of opposite from the aussie theory of 'work to live' ie work to maintain or achieve a certain desired level of lifestyle, rather in Japan it is to maintain a lifestyle that supports work ie live to work. Not saying either way is right or wrong, but if you like your personal time it's best to understand this.

The key is to try and find that niche where you can take care of financial repsonsibilities without selling your soul to a/the company.

When I find out how, I'll tell ya. \:\)

"where everyone is trying to out do each with how much they can suffer"

lol.gif

I'm going out for drinks with some colleagues friends tonight and I know one of the conversations will be a competition to see who is suffering the most or having the most taihen situation. I'm thinking of mone now.....

Quote:
Originally posted by muikabochi:
"where everyone is trying to out do each with how much they can suffer"

lol.gif
seconded.
lol.gif lol.gif

my ears get tired listening to people voice how tired they are.

another mind-boggling behaviorial jest is the guy here who stays after hours to sleep at his desk. wakaranai.gif