Tough call Soub. I guess they're flying through Kansai? Unless you're flying in or out of Itami airport, there's probably no reason to go into Osaka city. I don't dislike Osaka but it's massive and tiring, as you can imagine. Better to go into Kyoto or Kobe if Kansai is your hub. Osaka's a little closer but you'll probably spend all you time wandering around aimlessly, spending lots of money on nothing.

erm, I managed to kill 4 hours eating and drinking in the afternoon in Osaka, by the canal, but then I had to head back to the hotel for sleeps. Maybe you could do the same but head back to Kansai for the sleep on the benches.

Maybe I'll follow Bushpig's advice then. Buy a litre of shochu, find a park and a blue tarp.... confused.gif

OK, so make it Kyoto or Kobe. How about museums and galleries? I'm inclined towards science and technology, but kulcha is ok too.

We have another week. It's been a lot of fun, but the end is nigh. Everyone's a little downbeat now, and they are getting very clingy. Yes, I'm flying to Perth, and the trip is going to take 5 days.

I know what you mean... things always feel a little strange and restless in the last few days with my family when I'm about to come back to Japan. Hard to describe the feeling. Then the airport is always difficult.

Good luck with it all soubriquet. Sounds like you have all had a good time.

From what you normally write about, I would say go to the huge aquarium with the whale shark (jimbeizame). Its down the port in an area called Tenpozan. Next door, there's an IMAX cinema you can fall asleep in too. They often have National Geographic type films on with big visuals.

As old urban underbelly, there's far more to see around Tennoji than in the Ueno/Asakusa shitamachi part of Tokyo that gaijin san tend to rave about. Yaks with big tats in the sento and brothels with the ladies on display, etc.

If you just want a kip, go to a sauna, have a good soak, and sleep in their relaxation room. 2,000 yen for 24 hrs is common. There will be several in Umeda and Namba. I presume your bus will leave from one of them.

Go to Kuchuten building near Umeda (it's a huge futuristic looking building). You can go to the top of it and have a 'tokyo tower' style view of the city. In the same building B1 has a bunch of restaurants that are along a corridor that replicates old town Japan. Might be fun to have a look around or grab a quick bite.

I like the Namba area, if you want a great burger - head to Namba parks and look for a restaurant called Kua Aina sandwich. Best burgers in the world! There's all kinds of shopping and interesting stuff around the Namba area including the Osaka version of Akihabara...it's called NipponBashi.

Osaka is a fun city, there's so much to do there. If you had more time, you should check out Kobe or Kyoto...so much to see, so much to do...

Soubriquet if you had enough time to fool around, try dohtonbori area for lunch. You may find a lot of interesting things around there.

Don't dive into the Dohtonbori river if you were not a big Hanshin Tigers fan.

Have fun.