in central tokyo today and asked to go to Akasaka in polite Japanese- Drives didn't know where it is- This area is very central Tokyo- near where Koiizumi lived- I asked a co worker if he had ever experienced it - He said maybe the driver is from the countryside and has taken some customers into Tokyo for the day!- Or maybe he just didn't want Guy Jin in his ride- who knows - muzagashi one.

Yeah he said something along the lines of "hokana taxi norimasuka?" stopped in the middle of the street and released the door with no charge-this was after aout five minutes after he said he didn't know where it was- weird- even in the silly season.

Maybe you were too close and he didn't want to go for that cheap fare??? But i'd believe that he might not know where it was because my father in law recruits for a Taxi company and they usually get their drivers from Okinawa and Kagoshima!

I've met Mr Useless taxi driver myself. He took me on a ride (in both meanings). Double the time/distance/cost that it should have been. I flatly refused to pay that double cost. He said that it was not his mistake that he went 5km more than he should have on a roundabout route. It's a good job I knew the route he should have taken. I bet they rip a lot of people off like that.

I remember taking a taxi from Ikebukuro eki to the kimi Ryokan. The taxi driver took us on the most circuitous route. At one point we stopped at a Koban to ask the police man for directions (spent 10 minutes looking at the enormous map in the Koban). Taxi driver did switch off meter while at the koban. Eventually found the Ryokan after 20 min taxi ride. Dumped our bags, left hotel walked to end of street, turned left and hey presto! Ikebukuro eki. lol.gif

The taxi driver wasn't ripping us off (Mrs T, nihonjin, was there) he was just a useless taxi driver. I found it funny then and I still do.

Tokyo cabs really needs the London style knowledge requirement. The industry's swamped with too many drivers after deregulation anyways (during the bubble, it was way more tightly regulated, and there weren't enough cabs even though there were all these people/companies willing to spend mans on taxi fare.) But yeah, the most expensive cab ride in the world has to go.

Hmm, I think you shouldnt get too excited about cabbies in London. The Knowledge only applies to regulated taxi drivers. Since about 10 years ago there are 'minicab' firms running out of sheds in gardens where the drivers are illegal immigrants and they cant even speak english (this is not an exaggeration, many of them can literally say nothing more than prices and know what 'left' and right means) never mind know where anything is. And they drive 1985 datsun sunnys. But its cheap so everyone uses it. The real taxi drivers must be seething about the whole thing but nothing seems to be getting done about it.

The thing I dont like about Japanese taxis is that they ALL, without exception, totally stink of fags. For that reason I avoid taxis unless there is really no alternative.

In London mini cabs have to be licensed now. No 'knowledge' maybe, but cars have to be less than 5 years old and taxi drivers have police check. Obviously there are guys, unlicensed, driving around the streets picking people up (mainly centre of London)but you've gotta be nuts to get in one of those cars (hence publicity in London about using these 'cabs' and the risk of rape)

Taxi drivers round here don't have much to learn compared to the city but they still seem to have lots of trouble. The other thing I always thing with taxis is - why so many? At any one time there always seems to be about 10 hanging around outside our local very small station. I could swear some of them are there nearly all day just reading and smoking.

Taxis are just so expensive here, I almost never use them - only when I really need to. Just can't justify the cost.

Back home they are very cheap compared to here.