I was in the beer shop today and there were a lot of autumn and a few winter beers around. Didn't know which to pick, so got one Suntori Ajiwai that has the kanji for winter and "nama" on the front. The design is nice. The beer seems quite good actually as well.

Anyone tried any others?

basically, if it doesn't have beer or ビール written on the can then it is happoshu. They aren't allowed to call happoshu beer, so they get around it by calling it nama (生). That'll tell ya which is which.

I had Asahi Superdry on the weekend. It really is an almost undrinkable beer. Paid €6 for it as well! Reading the can I was reminded of their little slogan "the best beer for all seasons", or something like that. I reckon you could make better beer using some beer flavoured powder containing a frothing agent mixed into carbonated water.

(my excuse: Paris has some of the best ramen joints outside of Japan, there are heaps of them near the Opera. France has some of the worst beer on Earth, so it was a Heineken or an Asahi with my negi miso on the weekend. You can't drink wine with ramen. You just can't.)

"In addition to a different - and arguably less appealing - flavor, inbibing low-malt, high-adjunct beers in equal quantity is more likely to produce a hangover. One can assume that this is due to increased levels of fusel alcohol produced during the fermentation process for reduced-malt products"

-quote from BP's link

Gotta love wikipedia. Knowledge IS power.

Thanks BP.

Bloody sneaky all this stuff that's not really beer hanging around in cans labelled 'draft' or whatever, ready to fool me when i hit the supermarket in a beer deficient state.

So what beers do people recommend?

I tend to go for Sapporo. As it has a nice star on the can, and is cheaper than Asahi.

Most of the Jibeeru in Japan is pretty good as well. Give em a try - quite expensive comparatively but wonderful. Ive been forking out for Hoegaarden recently - Ewok and I love that beer. I could drink it at breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday till I die and never get sick of it \:D

See if you can find Ginga Kogen beers too AK. Theyre lovely.

There`s a beer brewed in Shiga Kogen somewhere I think that is really nice. Always buy a few bottles to bring back when am up that way, have only ever seen it in a small vege roadside market place.

Was in a gallette place the other weekend in Harajuku, (love that stuff), and had a few glasses of dry cider from Brittany. Haven`t had it since I lived there ages back and loved it, and rather potent. Also used to drink the strongest and most awsome home brew cider at uni when lived with a mate from Somerset, in S.England, which was famous for the drink and also being rather inbred!! How linked the two are I don`t know!

Don`t mind the Ebisu dark recently at my local, depsite black beer sh`ts the next day!