• Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Interesting rwad this

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1877388,00.html

On the flight path to global meltdown

There is no technofix to the disastrous impact of air travel on the environment, argues George Monbiot in the final extract from his new book - the only answer is to ground most of the aeroplanes flying today

-------------------------

Are you prepared to stop flying or cut down?

Be honest.

Another qustion is

are you prepared to cut down on foods that have to travel ridiculous ditances to your plate?

In BC, Canada. we grow soe pretty good apples. But at the big-name supermarkets, a lot of apples are from New Zealand! Its crazy that we import them when we grow them in our backyard!

YOU DON`T BRING SAND TO THE BEACH!

Likewise, i have a thing for avocados, chocolate, and bananas, none of which are grown closeby. But i do try to buy as local as possible with everything else.

My rice will be coming from a kilometer away, and i am lucky enough to live in Nagano, where most of the veggies i like can be locally grown.

Quote:
In BC, Canada. we grow some pretty good apples. But at the big-name supermarkets, a lot of apples are from New Zealand! Its crazy that we import them when we grow them in our backyard!
why is that? we do the same down here. must come down to cold hard economics in the end.

Although air freight is common, both on passenger planes and specific air transport planes, I suspect the lions share is done by container shipping.

So, fruit, veg and meat would be done more economically via bulk sea transport. (With the advent of exotic gas treatments, things once seen as perishable now last several months.)

• 1 month later...