Karaoke doesn't get better

I went out to an enkai last night and there was a nijikai at a karaoke bar. I thought I might enjoy it seeing as though I hadn't been to karaoke for so long. Hmmmm, er no. Worse than ever. And fewer people than ever it seemed. A sad sight all round it was.

Is karaoke losing it's appeal with lots of Japanese where you are? Sure seems to be less popular where I am.

Karaoke in an after business environment with clients is something I have never warmed up to. Karaoke with my wife or even mother-in-law can at times be fun. We aren't regulars but go maybe twice a year.

BTW, It drives me insane how Americans pronounce Karaoke as Karioke. Hawaiians don't do that but the mainland insists that somewhere in the spelling there is an "i." wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
BTW, It drives me insane how Americans pronounce Karaoke as Karioke. Hawaiians don't do that but the mainland insists that somewhere in the spelling there is an "i." wakaranai.gif
Perhaps a case of Tom(A)to vs Tom(AR)to, or just plain laziness? I'm guilty of that too.

Nothing shits me more than going to a restaurant and midway through they crank up the Karaoke. I hate the stuff with a vengeance and prefer to simply communicate with whomever I'm with rather than have my ears raped by some moron with an inflated ego.

(Unless of course it's AC/DC or Cold Chisel ;\) )
 Quote:
something I have never warmed up to.
Feel exactly the same. Some things I get used to and start actually enjoying (the pouring drinks routing - sometimes, natto, etc), but this is just a no no.