One of the ONLY good things about living here in Brissie is the kngaroo point cliffs in the city. There are provisions for top roping and are lit at night which is great for summer climbing,they are very popular. Climbing real rock is heaps more rewarding than climbing a man made wall.

BTW-

Top rope-rope suspended from the top

Lead climb-leading the rope up with you

Free climb- Big freaking balls no rope needed ;\)

Sorry about the pic quality below!

kpt_scene_Large.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pic halfmachine (and yer right, living in Brisbane must suck a big one. One of those pleasant harmless cities with absolutely nothing to do)

Sorry Beanie. I feel a bit guilty having those nice bindings, they are a bit wasted on me (although I can ski no problems on piste). If you find a cheap pair second hand on European ebay then let me know and I can get them delivered to my address then ship them over to you. They are very common here so plenty of second hand sets floating around.

I have to get mine adjusted properly as I got no idea if the release tension is set too tight or too loose. I was hoping a crash would tell me, but skiing is so easy on gentle icy slopes, way easier than snowboarding. In about 20 hours of skiing I still have not crashed once, not even touched the snow. Over the same period of time I rode my snowboard about 5 times and instantly noticed how icy the ‘snow’ was and ended up on my arse once or twice. I also noticed that noisy scrapping sensation of a snowboard edge on ice. After becoming comfortably familiar with the dynamics of skis (on icy hard pack), the snowboard feels quite wrong.

As for the outdoor wall closing for winter, that really annoys me. They operate an indoor ski slope at -4C all summer, yet shut down an outdoor climbing wall for “winter” on October 1st. Wankers.

I’m teaching my girl the motions of abseiling this weekend but not on any cliffs, just short 50-60 slopes.

I'm not sure that it's the ONLY good thing about living in Brizvegas. What about the Broncos and XXXX and the Eka(sp?) and the way the city doesn't seem to change from one decade to the next? ;\) My wife is from Brisbane and I lived there for years so I can bag it - it's my future!

Kangaroo point is a great climbing place. Lots of good well posted climbs for the post beginner climber - lots of fun 17s and 18s and stuff.

My bouldering place at Selkirk

1 wall is out of the picture on the right

There are only 2 routes I can do right now rated at V0. Yah I'm shitty. Oh and bouldering uses a different system than the one that Spud was on a about. They start at V0 and go to V6. Even V1 uses crazy holds.

One of the routes is on the left just out of sight and the other is going up the roof system on the back wall. So far I can get up to the 2nd last step before I zonk

toque_364.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

You have inspired me Spud
I went to the gym and got my membership. Just have to wait until tomorrow for them to get their shit in place so I can sign my life away...
Well thanks a ****ing lot Spud
I have open sores on both of my hands now
Thanks

Oh and I'm already seeing a difference. I touched the final rock a couple times today before plungeing to the mat

It isn't gentle on the hands, I warned you. Although, this is just sand paper compared to the real rocks and crack in the mountains. You should see the things rock climbers do to their hands! It looks like they have been bare knuckle boxing with a pile of bricks. That should give the tough-handed suburban tradesman a bit of a chuckle. But I doubt they would chuckle for long of they suddenly found themselves in the gut wrenching cliff faces I have seen some of these climbers on.

i'm been climbing guriguri (automatically locks the rope in place if your partner falls while climbing) once a week for about a year here in tokyo. it's just as much a mental workout and i love how you have to THINK while you're climbing.

tried using ATC for the first time in 9 years this Tuesday. good stuff. now i'm working on getting used to holding the rope to that i can get it into the next crab. not graceful yet, but it's fun.

going outdoor climbing for the first time this weekend. stoked!

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
You should see the things rock climbers do to their hands!
One of the pleasant climbers who sometimes visited the smelly climbers I used to live with used superglue on his cuts. Now whenever I get one of those really painful cuticle cuts, I always glue it up with superglue and it works. It doesn't make your children retarded either as I had feared it might.

after a year of climbing top rope/guriguri indoors, went outdoor climbing for the first time today. it was sweet!

there are only pics of my bum, but the pitches we were doing were for beginners, maybe 7 or 8 meters

dizzy_45.jpg

and yes, my new five-ten shoes are from the steap and cheap deals thumbsup.gif

my left foot is about a meter off the ground. the holds on this rock were rather small, but once you get your weight centered i always find it amazing how little space your foot needs to be balanced, like a square cm or two.

if started to rain in the afternoon, but i had about 10 good climbs. the japanese books said there were a lot of 5.7s and .8s on this face (easy of the easiest) can't wait to go next time

• 2 weeks later...

Well its almost 4 weeks since my first visit to the bouldering room

Since then I have bought a chalk bag and chalk and gotten myself up all the V0 routes in the room. It took me a few tries to finally get up even one of them but now it's easy.

(These are bouldering scales. Not rock climbing scales)

I've since moved onto the V1 routes and can get up most of them as well and today tried my first V2 which was fun. It's really amazing how my body has adapted to this. My first try I couldn't hold onto anything and now I can scramble all around on some of the routes. I am really enjoying it and look forward to my next go on the walls

• 2 weeks later...

we finally dropped 200USD bought a 60m rope. it arrived and we did our first full session of lead rope the other day. my climbing partner and i have only done lead rope a few times before.

you can't cheat by relying on the rope like you can with top rope.

it is so much harder than guriguri/top rope b/c you spend so much time/muscle energy clipping your rope in.

it's amusingly frustrating to handle a rope and get it into your clip or clipping it in backwards and having to take it out and put it in the right way

it's so much more fun than top rope. can't wait to go back to the gym

What 60m did you get? I recently got a dry 60m 8.5 mm double rope from Mammut. I didn't really get it for real climbing, just as a long safety line for three man teams and stuff.

Where did you do the lead climbing? Outdoors? It sounds like fun.

i got a no-name brand "New England" 60m 10.5mm rope. the wall for lead rope is only 11 or 12m, but after belaying down from climb, we're pulling the full length of the rope through to straighten it out.

thinking about cutting it in half and using the other half for outdoors only. still need a spreadable bag for the rope, but no hurries. prolly won't need one until spring