Driving under the influence

Whats with the current obsession with drunk driving accidents in Japan now? Just something the media have latched onto just going at it with everything?

Surely they haven't just suddenly increased by 10000% like you'd think looking at the news.

>Just something the media have latched onto just going at it with everything?

Maybe cuz of the accident down in Fukuoka? Im with you, dont think theyve increased much though I havent seen any stats. Lack of anything else to report? Or, theyre actually making an issue outta it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
Just something the media have latched onto just going at it with everything?
Yep, sadly it will last until the next gruesome kids cuts his mates head off or something like that. If I understood right, alot of the recent accidents have been caused by drunk ward office workers.
The police are cracking down this week. A 1 week blitz is going to do nothing. The cops will do it in the same place with 30 cops pulling over a few cars and it can usually be avoided.

There is no education about drink driving or any info about it. What's the limit? none of my students have been able to tell me. Is it zero? or .05?
In OZ we have the standard drinks to go by. Eg. a beer bottle is about 1.3 standard drinks. At least then we can have some idea about how much we might be able to drink.

the limit is apparently about 1/3 of the NZ limit which is

80mg alcohol per 100ml blood or 400mcg per litre of breath. Learner drivers are allowed 30mg per 100ml blood

NZ is pretty generous too by world standards.

Japan is pretty low, basically one drink is your limit.

edit - just checked in Japans its 30mgs 0.03.

Australia is 0.05 - 50 mgs

nz is pretty lenient indeed

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/article...-BAC-limits.htm

> basically one drink is your limit.

I don't think that's the view of the authorities. That limit is to allow for accidental consumption in food and medications, or what you drank yesterday.

The nations of the world still need to get serious about this and institute an International Drunk Drivers License for those of us who are not completely incapacitated by a few drinks.

Have been stopped twice in the last 3 days for testing. The police man whoo does the testing has officialy one of the worlds worst jobs! No breathing apperatus to check your level just a good old whiff of your breath!! Each time I have been stopped its been after a particularly garlicy meal and an indian curry!!

eek.gif

They really go full on when they catch onto a story don't they.

Not sure I get what the huge difference is between a public worker doing a bad thing and a private company worker...

>The nations of the world still need to get serious about this and institute an International Drunk Drivers License for those of us who are not completely incapacitated by a few drinks.

Agreed. People need to learn how to drive drunk then there wouldnt be all these stupid accidents.

I heard that they were clamping down in a week long campaign as a direct result of that Fukuoka incident. The driver was drunk, ran into another car (with a family of 5 in it), which was pushed into the water. The two parents managed to get out of the car, dive back under the water and recover two of their three children but all three children died. The drunk-driver didn't stop, went home and called his friend. He asked his friend to take responsibility for the accident cos the dd was a gov worker so the consequences would have been "more serious" for him than his mate. Friend said no & told him to drink a load of water & go back to the scene. DD did that & when he got eventually got breathalised the alcohol count was lower that it would have originally been so he is supposedly going to get off more lighly than he should have. According to my J-friend the fact that he left the scene is not criminally relevent because he came back.

The accident was DD's fault but I wonder if the kids would have died if they had been wearing seatbelts as their parents probably were?

The one week clamp down is a bit of a farce as it has been announced so everyone will be more careful than usual this week. Also with summer officially over and the bon-enkai season a few months away, there is a bit of a lull in the number of dd's at this time of year anyway.

The car that fell off the bridge was a Mitsubishi Pajamas or some such SUV, and the other car managed to get under it and lift it over the barrier. The children may have been safer in a car with a lower centre of gravity...

farquah, I've witnessed the same. I was driving one night about 2 weeks ago and the police stopped me after a night of eating Korean food (zero booze). He didn't have any modern day breathalizer (sp?) but rather asked me to breath on him..I told him what I had been eating and if he was sure he wanted me to breath on him. After I did, I saw his face clinch up and he waved me on. Drunk drivers, might I reccomend you keep a tin of kimchee in your car or better yet, don't drink and drive.

are there any community action groups in japan to help deal with this problem. like MADD for instance? the complications are not so much the limits of the law, but the social acceptance of the issue. unfortunatly that means in japan the problem is nearly irresolvable.

When the government toughened the rules for DUI's several years ago, the number of hit and runs spiked (surprise surprise) because the penalty for fleeing the scene became so much less than that for getting busted for drunk driving.

I think the main reason for the media blitz is that they are trying to get the government to change the fleeing the scene law.