They are some pretty good pics you have there Goemon. Never considered going to Sumidagawa Hanabi - the crowds at the Yokohama one a few years ago put me off firework festivals. How did you get there? Weren't the trains a nightmare?

O11: We were thinking it was more Beirut-ish actually.

me jane: We parachuted into the North and positioned ourselves on the riverbank near the northernmost bridge; since it was outside the "red zone", it was not too crowded, yet still afforded a satisfactory view of the fire play.

Been spending pretty much every night of this month being a killjoy here stopping people letting off fireworks. Turlte nesting time again which means no sleep at night and plenty of boos and hisses from budding pirotechnicians!! :rolleyes: :p Turtle appreciate it though!! ;\)

Nice pictures, Goemon.

How did you take those pictures? Tripod and action mode?

I missed those local beach Hanabis in my hometown and can't go to Tokyo bay either..., probably Jingu Hanabi is the only one I can go this summer. Yokohama has the big one tomorrow, doesn't it? If Yokohama stadium has a game tomorrow night, it is the best place. You can enjoy both baseball and fireworks.

Those were tripod-action mode; nice and easy to have the tripod sitting there and just hit the buttom every few minutes.

I might check out Todabashi this weekend. We went there last year and were able to get pretty close to the action.

31806502_97214606d3_m.jpg

Kataoka(in Niigata) has the biggest display in the world, (4 shaku-dama) diameter 120m 420kg before launch, diameter 800m in the sky.

People say Omagari(in Akita) has the best fireworks competition and the number of displays, Osaka PL school is the most.

I'd like to see the biggest one in Niigata. 800m in the sky! can't imagine how big it is.

Fireworks can get a bit tiresome after a while I find. Short but intense displays are the best.

My mother in law always seems to be there when I watch a fireworks display, and she has a habit of saying "Ah, kuraimakusu da! Mou owari!" every time there's a bit of an eruption. She's not bothered by the fact that she's wrong even seven times, and keeps repeating it until she's right once. It makes me cringe to hear her declaring that this is the climax.

The displays here make me laugh with all the annoucements of the sponsor and the waiting for 1 firework to go off + repeat. lol.gif It spoils the experience.

The short intense ones are definitely best.

Sorry to be the proverbial "damp squib" but I'm not a great fire-works fan.

The pyro-technology and craftmanship required to produce such surely is marvellous, as are the awesome displays of explosive colours.

For me though the saturating stench - unless viewed from very afar - the noise and the way it drives animals nuts and as OC hinted the repetitive tiresomeness of it all, makes me think other more worthwhile activities to pursue.

A lot of gee-whiz-bang preying on our ancient volcano gazing instincts. \:\)

But I can't tell that to the kid can I.

She who recieved a BIG box of the stuff yesterday from our kindly neighbour.

Christ, there's enough powder in there to rival Guy Fawkes original intentions. eek.gif

Fireworks aren't really 'made' as such. Although this point is not well understood scientifically, fireworks are 'thought forms'.

This is the gentleman who makes them;

yogi_hindu.jpg

Fortunately he never asks for much more than an occasional new pair of underpants or a length of string in return for the magnificent displays that are enjoyed by so many.