Had my first ever J-crepe yesterday. It was one of those ones full of fruit and ice-cream. I couldn't really see what all the fuss was about. Thought it just tasted stodgy. Didn't finish it. I like hot homemade ones though.

• 2 weeks later...

The thicker pancakes - called hotcakes here - are generally bland & 'cakey' and used only for desserts.

The J-crepes I've had are great. Of course they're thin - that's because they're crepes, not pancakes.

The choice of fillings is wide. My faves are fried rice, seafood & good ol salad. The main place I buy them from (take away)is never stingy on the filling and flavours are always good.

The place is always busy - which supposedly is a reasonable sign to their "getting it right"

For ¥300 ~ ¥400 pretty good value, health & pocket wise.

as a canadian i must insist that pancakes are to be eaten exclusively in a heaping stack with butter, and sogging wet with pure quebec maple syrup. if you must, you may also add either ham, sausages, or bacon to the melange. or if you are a hungry lumberjack, all three together.

i once made one huge pancake in a pan of bacon grease, with the previously cooked bacon in the center of the cake. i dubbed it the "mancake".

NP,

if you want to try, then the best of luck to you. The thin fruit filled crepes with lots of cream are very popular with the younger ones. Not sure how the think ones will go down.

Last season there was a kebab van which I tried but it wasn't really that good, but I hope they'll be there again this coming season just to provide something different. In the end I just had the noodles and hamburg steak for lunch and the sushi and sashimi in the evenings.

I didn't eat one in Japan, but I trust Snobee's opinion (I always like reading someone's opinion over a few paragraphs).

I reckon both thin crepes (like in Europe) and thick pancakes (like in Canadia) are both pretty tasty so long as they are not overdone and artificial. Rolled up hot crepe with lemon juice and sugar is awesome. Pure maple syrup cost a fortune where I grew up, so we always had the fake stuff. But there is something strangely edible about heavy bready pancakes, bacon and syrup, or ice-cream and syrup. Mind you I could only eat it once a month and I doubt I would eat the the Man Cake (not to be taken out of centext!)

I like all types of flour mixture stuff fried in a pan, especially piklets, what ever the hell they are. Fried pancakes things made with yellow corn flour are also good, especially with with butter.

As for pancakes in Japan, Niseko is the most well known pancake. It is quite popular owing to how flat and white it is. It is so flat that sundials do not work there. The kanji used for Niselo is the same one used for inverted nipple.

• 4 weeks later...