I have to attend the opening of a new hotel in Tokyo on Saturday, and it's just stuck me that it may be like a wedding in that you have to hand over the envelope full of cash at the uketsuke.

Anyone been to a big opening before?

In a bit of a panic here. Any advice welcome.

We do quite a bit of business with this hotel chain and run their English website.

I've never been to one of these things before, and I've been reading that people give money at new store openings etc.

The message from soubriquette is yes you do. The amount will depend on the value of the business you get from them. She mentioned Y50,000 as being sort of ballpark, but suggests you contact another business partner of the hotel to get a better feel.

Hope that helps.

hmmm... really? money for the hotel opening ceremony? Why????

Opening partie is a kind of sales promotion, isn't it? The hotel company should bear all expenses for the party and I don't think they expect any income from the party.

Our parties are usually very casual. When we had opening party(Hotel, Gallery, Boutique) in Tokyo and Shanghai, we invited more than 100 guests and never got money from them. When our client has a party and we invited, we send flowers but not money.

Yep, flowers with a prominent sign stating they came from you (your business). Also, unless you have to give a speech or something the flowers themselves are often used as representation from your company.

Thanks Slow and Kintaro.

I'll take the money anyway and only bring it out if everyone else seems to be.

The opening ceremony is tomorrow but they don't actually have any guests coming until July 7th. So I might just send some flowers for then if I get away with not paying.

These guys did us a huge favor recently when they closed down their own English site and and now book exclusively through us.

Well I went and didn't have to fork out a penny. Kept the envelope in my pocket and am now back to my sheltered existence in Hakuba.

Enjoyable event but Tokyo is no place to be wandering around in a suit. Quick change in the loo at Osaki sataion after the event.

Got to watch the German / Agentine game at the hotel. Can't get NHK at our place as the ski jump is in the way of the reception.(NHK doesn't even bother trying to colect fees up here)

Goody. Sorry for the bum steer, but I was acting on advice.

My rating of cities is based on the time needed to leave. It`s a shame it was Germany/Argetine. I went to bed at half-time. Dull.