Another, I know. I'm just a bit confused about wireless internet connections and how much it costs if anything.

For example, I was looking at the Narita page and it seemed to say it was free "there is no charge for using Narita Airport's wireless LAN but international roaming services are provided at a charge by the individual Internet service providers". This confuses me.

And I heard you can use it in Starbucks and on the train and the like..... but do you have to sign up somewhere to do that and pay for the service or is it free?

I have a card in my notebook so I think I'm ready to go.

I'd really appreciate hearing about any first hand experiences.

If I remember well from the last time I was in Narita, I was able to log in the internet for free. I think you have to pay with your visa card for the official wireless internet access service, but there were also 2-3 more signals caught by my LAN card. One of them was not locked so I was able to log in for free. I haven’t traveled lately so I can’t give you more details about what’s happening lately.

Im not sure about starbucks but usually in the coffee houses you have to pay quite a lot to use the WAN, maybe 500yen for 30mins or so.

But in a big city you can often get lucky and detect a non-protected signal and get online, as the router will normally broadcast the signal around 100m.

Another idea would be to look online for the default passwords used by big router vendors - Buffalo etc. A lot of people dont bother to change the default password. If I had a laptop and was on the go a lot this would be my approach.

If you're using windows, make sure all you important stuff is set to private, and remove any files you are sharing if you are going on an open network.

Once in a Toyoko Inn I was able to see everyone else wo was online and able to get access to shared files on about half the computers. Woke me up to the dangers of open networks.

Right click on the folder you have all your important stuff in, and click properties.

ON the window that pops up click "shared" (I'm not too sure as I have a Japanese comp".

This will give you a couple of check box options.

The top one should say " make this file private". Check that and click "apply" or "OK"

b12

All I did was click on my network and clicked on workgroup computers and they all popped up. Then you could access the shared files on the computers.

NTT do a 1 day pass thing that you can use in lots of places in Tokyo. Handy if you need it just for 1 day. 500 yen it is. Looks up NTT communications hotspots.