Your opinion please. Feasible or Folly?

I finished my work in Tochigi in March, and my next job in Nagano doesn't start until August. Thus i have a large portion of time, and a limited amount of money to cary me through it.

I have already plotted out what to do until June. I am in Taiwan, visiting my brother and eating at every vegetarian resteraunt i can find (eaten at 10, out of about 25 i have seen). And oh my god, they have fake tuna salad onigiri at the 7-11s here. It is vegetarian heaven compared to japan.

But back on track...

I want to do a budget trip, and i am thinking about doing it by bicycle. Two months doesn't seem long enough to do the Shikoku 88-temple pilgrimage (nor do i have the money) so i have an alternate plan.

I want to do a budget trip, and i am thinking about doing it by bicycle.

But not just any bicycle, an oyaji 3-wheeler with the basket in the back.

i want to toss a tent, some clothes, and a bedding in the back, and take the Nakasendo (which runs RIGHT in front of my future Nagano residence) down to Tokyo. Depending on how long t takes, i might take the old road from Edo that went to Kyoto, and visit there too.

Does anyone know anything about bicycle touring in Japan? Is the Nakasendo feasible?

Is 2 months enogh to get there and back?

Do i also need to wear a tattered JA trucker hat, dirty white shirt and towel around my neck if i use this particular method of transportation?

Iknow this will also be running into rainy season too, but i am willing to run it.

Any info or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Yeah, but on a bike like that with no gears it would also strain your knees unnecessairily which wouldnt help your recovery either. If you had a decent touring bike Id recommend either Shikoku or Kyushu as both are really beautiful and have lots to offer as well.

Worse things about bikes like those are the seat positioning as theyre not anatomically correct which can do more damage than good as already stated above.

Even if youre only cruising at 15K/hr Id think about getting a diff bike with a rack on back but thats just my 2 yen worth.

Those are good points. I was thinking about modifying the bike a little, and getting a good seat.

I was consitering getting a regular charinko, only if i could find a small trailer attatchment for it. I don't think i've ever seen one around where i was.

But if i could get one at a reasonalble price, i would ditch the three-wheeler idea.

Id just be really worried bout you putting too much stress on your knee doing that kind of excerise with that kinda bike. My honest feeling is that it would make it worse. If you had a proper mtn bike/touring bike then Id say F'yeah go for it!! Esp Shikoku at that time or Kyushu. Top islands!!

Wow, thats a nice lookin' trip! Thanks, Slow.

I actually just moved from Tochigi!

I know the road between Kusatsu and Nagano (it also runs trough the town i'll be in) and it might be pretty challenging without a real bike. I will definately look into that one.

Here in Tainan i cycle everyday (although its pretty flat). The knee is doing well, but i have to build up my quads.

The knee had surgury last summer, so the ligaments are secure. Its just rehab i am working on.

As for the trip itself, like you said before Creek Boy, i don't need to go fast. 15km/hour sounds about right. If i have to walk it up hills, so be it. I am not looking for an intense physical challenge.

The aim of this trip is just to take it easy and slow, and take in the scenery. I originally thought about doing the tip by walking, because i thought a normal bike would be too fast.

If anyone knows where i could get a touring bike for cheap, or rent one for 2 months, that would be great. But i am short of money (i have to strech what i have until my first paycheck comes in around September) so geting a proper bike seems out of reach.

Thanks for the replys though. They are helpful.

O.K., if youre up for a hike mate Shikoku would be sweet. Ive said it many times before but I love going to Shikoku. You wouldnt hit all the 88 temples there but you could do a good lot of em. Or, head to Kyushu (Yakushima) is where Ive been trying to get for a while, add Amamioshima and Ryukyu islands as well. Think any of those would be nice if you havent been down this way.

• 1 month later...

Well, i got the trike, fixed it up, painted it black, and mapped out the entire Nakasendo from here (Miyota, Nagano) to Kyoto. It will be about 400 km one way, and i'm hoping to make it there in 2 weeks.

map000.gif

I leave Sunday morning, weather permitting. Tell you all about it when i get back in July (if i survive).

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the way you asked "is this a good idea" to be told uniformly "no, don't do it" just so you could reply "stuff that, I'm doing it".

You were going to do it from the outset, no matter what anyone said. Bloody hippy \:\)

Well done man Tell us about the journey.

(a long time ago I asked on this forum about doing a bike trip a bit like yours with my dog. But I wasn't going to use a funny bike. Never did it. You did. Nice one)

Dude, i was just there on Sunday. Sorry.

Come over to Nagano this winter and beer's on me.

It was pretty cool. Even though it was Tsuyu, i barely saw any rain. Packed a couple of changes of clothes, 3 litres of water, some nuts and chocolate, camping gear, and set off.

The pics are up on my other profile, on

http://snowboard.colonies.com/members/anti-bling

It was a beautiful ride, right up until you start hitting city in Gifu, near Nakatsugawa. Kyoto doesn't have anything on the Nakasendo.

The old post-towns are gorgeous, even the ones that aren't tourist attractions, like Suhara, that are a little run-down.

I got to sleep in all sorts of fun places, like graveyards and handicapped bathrooms, to outdoors where the tanukis messed with my tent and shoes at night.

And going by charinko, it slows everything down. I did everything a little slower that weeks, and felt very relaxed, even when i was pushing that frigging bike over the mountain passes. It was a shock to the system to hit garish, sped-up city life, and i actually got depressed while ridiing through them.

Maybe it was because my little fantasy was torn apart, but i think it also had to do with being innundated with beauty for a week straight, and then suddenly dealing with traffic and pachinko parlours gives little time for decompression.

Anyways, it was one of the best experiences i've ever had here (i'm still waiting to make love to a girl in a yukata during a fireworks matsuri).

I encourage anyone to do it, even just partially. The Kiso valley istself is worth the trip.

And if a skinny vegetarian kid with the chisled physique of a crack-addict can do it, you can too.

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

> (i'm still waiting to make love to a girl in a yukata during a fireworks matsuri).

I encourage anyone to do it, even just partially.

Junsabucho, Oyuki kigan told me to do it. Look, I only put one finger in!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
just had a look at your page oyuki, and I see you're friends with Chosan from Whistler. He's a good friend!!!
You know Chewy? Are you the guy he was supposed to go shredding with this spring before he blew out his knee?

yep, that's me. It worked out well for me though. Instead of taking him round to various parks to film him, I got to enjoy some bc pow thumbsup.gif

he he he

How do you know him?

I met him when I used to live in Whistler