I was doing a little gardening yesterday, and went to set up the hose. When I opened the (snake hole?) cover for a water supply, there was a small snake coiled up inside. Surprise. It oozed gracefully backwards into a hole and disappeared, pretending it did not exist and was not there. Colour was coffee and cream.

How many types of snake are there in Japan, and how poisonous are they?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I saw.

aobaby2003.jpg

It is a Japanese Ratsnake. They are not venomous.

"The Aodaisho (Japanese name), is a medium to large slender ratsnake with an average length of 3½ - 5½ ft (120-160cm). There are blotched and striped phases as well as an albino population.

E. climacophora is found on most all of the Japanese island, as well as the Russian island of Kunasir. They are commonly collected near human settlements, houses, barns and other buildings. The snake is also found in forests, fields and grasslands, bamboo thickets and just about any other habitat. This species is active mainly in the morning and evening hours, and is at home on the ground as well as in trees and bushes. Main food items include frogs, rodents, birds and bird eggs.

An easy species to breed, with a hibernation period of 3-4 months. Mating takes place in spring, and 7-20 eggs laid in early to mid summer."

http://www.ratsnakes.com/Eclimacophora.html

I've had quite a few encounters with snakes in Oz. Australian snakes can be extremely venomous, but as the venom flows down a groove at the back of the tooth, a couple of layers of cloth serves as an effective barrier.

I 'm not worried about snakes here, Used to grow up collecting lizards and snakes in my young (and silly) days. Managed to pick up a hybernating brown snake, took it to show and tell... Lets just say it wasn't too happy when I pulled it out and the girls screamed their heads off..snake catchers, headmasters, holidays ;\)

lol.gif We used to go searching for them under corrugated iron and old bits of tin scattered around the bush. We'd get the occasional King Brown come into our yard, and dad would very quickly dispatch it with an axe or a shovel... Used to love catching sleepies, skinks, gekkos, thornie devils, etc out in the bush near Broken Hill.

Soub, I see quite a few snakes down here in Hiroshima once it warms up. Mostly emerald green fellas about a meter or so long. I usually chase them (follow them actually) out of interest, until they disappear into the grass.

Broken Hill rocks mate thumbsup.gif Actually we moved to Perth when I was 10. Broken Hill is a great place for a kid to grow up in eh! So much to get into and mess around in! Love the bush and country side out that way. Were you working there to with all the mineral deposits?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Used to love catching sleepies, skinks, gekkos, thornie devils, etc
You forgot blueys!
Mate, sounds like we were doing the same stuff!
When I am home I usually see alot of Bluey's and Sleepies (or stumpies) just around my neighbourhood. I love em, Would love to have one here, but price is crazy and probably supporting a black market in that trade I am not keen on doing!

yeah the old bluies! My sister had a stumpie in her yard for a couple of years, but it up and left last year. Her kids loved searching for it. Used to catch taddies too and watch em turn into forgs.

I know they are not green :p I was saying the signs always say beware of mamushi, but I have yet to see one at those places. Instead, I have only ever seen the green ones. Might still be up for a rumble there though CB. BPG can play a bit of golf apparently, and she has really surprised my by being able to kick arse at a few other sports so far. She wants to start bodyboarding too thumbsup.gif