I'll probably leave out some of the gear, but not on purpose. This is just the stuff I'm used to seeing in the states and what I can order online.

I'm curious about other companies and how they match up. Is the Japanese stuff any good?

I will forever and ever swear by 'The North Face' gear and coming in a close second, Columbia. I used the same NF jacket for 6 years and the only reason I got a new one - I was sick of the color. Just got a new one this year and am happy as hell with it.

So, what is your preference?

LV! ;\)

Mine is very fine. I've got twin jacket from Descent. Inside jacket is sky blue downjacket and very warm(Keep warm is very important for me!), outside jacket is black waterproof. I can choose with changes in temperature. I bought it almost 7 years ago but it still looks good. I love it. \:\)

Ahh, I forgot about Descent! Good stuff. It was my first poll, so I wasn't quite sure how many choices to pick \:\)

This season has been so warm (except for yesterday). I usually wear one thermal and then my North Face Shell. No liner or anything. I stay nice and toastie.

I have some Soffel pants. Had them for 67 years now and they are still working great. I almost bought a new pair this year, but why? They are black, they work great, so I have absolutely no complaints! Should have put that company in there too! Doh!

Arc-tyrex - unbeatable but a price to go...

Marmot - a more affordable second, along w/ patagonia and mountain hardware.

TNF-well, you only have to be let down once in the mountain gear game...

The 'how does Japanese stuff rate' is amusing. I think you might find TNF and Patagonia are Japanese owned (or did they change hands again?)