Just been watching Larry King on CNN and the subject was "Inside the world of polygamy".

Some women deciding that "this is what they wanted to do with their lives" confused.gif Once looked just like my mum, quite surprising listening to them actually.

The reason one woman entered polygamy lifestyle was "I wanted to do the right thing for god".

Catch the repeat if you can.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw another thing actually about some Canadian community where the whole town is into all this. They spoke to one guy who had over 100 children and quite a lot of wives. He said he was hoping to get at least a few more wives.

the community is called "Bountiful". it is a very conservative branch of mormons. it is in the creston valley, and the government has been trying to seek legal intervention regarding the situation. most of the women are bounded into this lifestyle. the media work on the situation has been tricky as no outsiders are allowed into the community. the mormon church denouces this colony. and most of the confessions of women and men, that leave the town are pretty terrifying. they are forced into this lifestyle through violent means. the reason that most would prefer to maintain it is not that they want to do it for god, but because they don't want to forever seperated from their families by leaving the communtiy.

I saw that too as well mina2.

I totally believe you daver. Interestingly CNN didn't seem to condem it at all - they were going round interviewing all these "happy folk getting on with their lives".

Didn't see the show, but I 've been wondering recently. . .

What's so different between polygamy and getting married, then divorced, then remarried, then divorced, then remarried. . . ???

well first, as a women (in some cultures) you have the right to choose who you marry and divorce.

i think your example is not at all like polygamy, but more simply a lack of fore sight (and hind sight) from the particpants.

Whats the difference? Seems fairly obvius to me.

It was on CNN again about those guys just before. They interviewed an 11 year old who said he "wanted 3 wives". When asked what he thought about people disapproving of this, he said that they "were missing out".

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
the community is called "Bountiful". it is a very conservative branch of mormons.
Just to add
And this is from cbc

"Bountiful was established in the late 1940s by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – a breakaway sect of the Mormon Church. The official Mormon Church banned polygamy in 1890. "

The transcript of the show is on the CNN website:

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0605/08/lkl.01.html

Doesn't sound like the womens' lack of freedom/choice in this case has anything to do with polygamy at all, but 2 parts religious exremism mixed with 3 parts of abuse of power by one megalomaniac.

My earlier point was that both polygamy and multiple divorce-remarriage get around the idea ("vow") of committing yourself to your partner for life-- but the Liz Taylors of the world have merely found a LEGAL loophole around that commitment.

Neither is great, but of the two, I almost find those making a lifetime commitment to several partners at the same time in the case of polygamists more respectable (if you can call it that), and yet, that's the one that's illegal. I guess if it were legal it would make for some pretty complicated inheritance laws.

At the time of getting married, they (or they should have) meant their vows. But they couldn't upkeep them. Thats talking for lots of "normal" couples, maybe Liz Taylors of this world don't fit into that!

The situation with these poly people is surely totally different to that.