The most you've got away with at flight check-in?

I was just reading the other thread where some girl wanted to become an airline check in person. Apart from that being utterly mad, someones comments reminded me of checking in last year for a flight.

20kg was the limit. My suitcase was 38kg. And I had a PC case, and another bag which was a fair bit bigger than the size they say on the signs as you check in.

I got away with it, but I've heard of people being caught up for much less.

Anyone beat my record? \:\)

going home (japan to NZ) i had a whopping 50kg! all my snowboard gear and 2 years worth of shit. JAL were great - put about 35kg in the cargo, then took 2 enormous bags as hand luggage. no charge.

coming from NZ to japan last time i was about 12kg over, was gonna cost about 300 NZD, my folks were with me when i checked in. so told him i had no cash, and made a big deal of taking shit out of my suitcase and giving it to my parents. he eventually let me on with about 6 kg over.

i think my problem is my suitcase weighs about 7 kg when its empty! its a big hunk of crap. time to upgrade i think. confused.gif

Normally the maximum you can have in any one bag is 32kg, otherwise the baggage handlers would kill their backs. I have been told at check in to redistribute the weight in the bags to get weight under 32. Most airlines are pretty strict about it too, you can be over it total not but not over the weight per item.

Griller my best effort was a 120litre carry all bag 32 kg, snowboard bag with one board, ski boots and snowboard boots and packed with other stuff.

15kg.

Ski bag - packed with skiis and jammed with clothes and food. about 15kg.

Large back pack, loaded with books and other heavy stuff for my carry on luggage - 25kg!

80plus kg and no worries, a really friendly Indian chap checked me in at Chch International airport, he made me redistrubute the weight as the main bag was over 32kg, but otherwise he could see what I was trying do do and he let me away with it.

Top Bloke!

about 50kg.

Had my surfboard (5) in a large coffin and it had heaps of space so it got filled somehow.

I used my foot to get it to 35kg. They tend to let oversized baggage not be counted alot of the time.

Coming home this year I had a suit case that was 36kg and the biatch was sure that I wasn't getting on without reducing it to 32kg! The plane was delayed as a result.. all just fr 4kg's, so they are pretty strict about the 32kg rule.

A few years ago, Adelaide airport was allowing a max of 5kg hand luggage! 5kg! that was an exercise to get taxes to pay for the new airport.