This time round it seems a new cost has appeared on my shaken quote..... "recycle-dai". Apparently it is a new law that you have to pay this (9000 yen in my case) as part of shaken. You can get it back if you buy a new car from the same place or something.

Yipee.

Makes me laugh when they advertise "shaken for 9800 yen) and it ends up being a minimum of 120000 yen or whatever when you include all the necessary extras (taxes, work time, blah blah).

Yeah, you need to know what's included and what's not in the 9000 yen.

I think usually a shaken costs 160000 - 200000+ (tax etc all included ) in my case every time when I need.

This happens anywhere. I found a cheap computer in a newspaper and had an access to their web site. But the price there was very different from the one in the paper. A lot restrictions described this and that in that web page so I gave up to keep going on the web page.

Hum.. No. When I had last shaken back in Oct 2004, they didn't mention anything about it if I remember right. But nowadays when we buy TVs, pcs, laundry machines, refridgeators etc, they mentioin about it.

Is that "re-cyle dai" charged only once, right? Not each and every time when you have shaken?

yeah, but I think then you have to take the car to the inspection center and sit in the car while they tell you all the things to do (in Japanese) to check the basic safety of the car. At least that's the case here in Hiroshima. Apparently it is a real pain in the arse. Not to mention the paperwork...

Recycle tax came in last year I think.

It only has to be paid once in the life of the car, so if you didn't get it shakened last year you will fork out the small amount for it this time.

I export all my cars back, so good news is that on de registration of your car you get a refund a few months later including the car tax that was pre paid and the re cycle tax.

if you buy a car that has already paid the tax then you are sweet.

Gamera- 160-200,000 for shaken?

Man you are either a) getting taken for a ride

B) getting your local mercedes benz dealer to do it for you.

160 isn't that bad if it includes car tax (4-5man)

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Gamera- 160-200,000 for shaken?
Man you are either a) getting taken for a ride
B) getting your local mercedes benz dealer to do it for you.

160 isn't that bad if it includes car tax (4-5man)
Yep, not bad but it's only when nothing serious bad found at my car. If any, it would cost extra some $$$ and this happens often.
mad.gif

OK, well it looks like I paid the recycle fee of 11000 yen when I got the shaken do also. So I paid it when I bought the car and when I got shaken. Maybe this is the law, or maybe I got ripped off. I don't know.

How much was your shaken Bushpig?

My friend just had his done. The "essentials" (ie the check, taxes, other costs) came to 115000 yen. Then he had to have something done to his brakes or something and oil changed... came to 15 man.

My mate does mine for much cheaper than 100K and he makes profit.

Gam, I said 160 isn't bad if you were paying car tax too. How often do they find something wrong with your car at shaken time???

Bushpig, you got ripped. You only have to pay it once. who made you pay it twice?

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Gam, I said 160 isn't bad if you were paying car tax too. How often do they find something wrong with your car at shaken time???
I always ask them to check everything very carefully and ask them to replace whatever comes wrong - brake pads, timing belts. There always seems some tiny things need to be replaced.
Actually it costs some, sometimes more than 100,000 yen extra depends on what. But cheaper than my life, so can not complain.
;\)

Gams, wow. How often do you change your timing belt?

In Japan mechanics are more willing to change over parts much earlier than needed. It's great for buying used gear though \:\)

Bushy, you owe that dealer a brick or an egg run ;\)

Indosnm

Whenever I hear any crack noise, I ask them to change the timing belts. I don't think it like every ** months or years thing.

I always feel we happen to drive cars safe.

If any accidents or troubles at your car, it's easy for you to get in panic if it's out of your control.

Think about it - we drive an massive iron more than 1 ton. Accidents could happen anytime.

Perhaps I am too nervous and careful but better than careless.