With Koizumi set to give up after the next LDP AGM, there's been a bit a discussion on who is gonna be next.

Such is the nepotistic nature of Japanese politics, 3 of the main contenders are descendents of former PMs.

Fukuda (ex. Cabinet Sec) is the son of PM Fukuda

Aso (Yakuza faced Foreign Min) is grandson of Yoshida, and Abe (Current Cab. Sec) is grandson of Kishi (岸)

God help us if Aso gets the job, he strikes me as a smarmy little prick. However of the current cabinet, I reserve a special dislike for Nakagawa (ag. min)

Any bets on who is gonna be next PM?

Argh, only second and third generation politicians are candidates, not looking good.

I was hoping Koizumi would reverse his decision to abide by an arcane party rule that he can only be a party leader for 5 years.

He's been the only stable PM with a vision who managed to point the entire LDP in one direciton (finally making Japanese democracy seem more real, LDP with the usual factions fighting for power is just an old boys club with the public having no say in the decisions).

Structural reforms while reviving the economy (part luck that it coincided with China's rise). The fact that he had no natural allies and didn't belong to any factions meant that he was finally the PM who was able to cut a lot of government fat and push through structural reforms in banking, construction, postal services, etc. He's done a lot more than any PM in memory. But he was met with too much opposition within his own party from MPs trying to protect their self-interests, that was unfortunate but reality of politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junichiro_Koizumi

Misorano, I don't know much about any of them really, but Aso has said that the visits to Yasukuni Jinja shouldn't be done under the current circumstances in Asia. That's at least one positive for the guy. He at least sees some of the benefit in trying to placate China and Korea.

People talk about Japan having a democracy - yet the same party has been in power for how long now? and aren't Japanese people stereotypically followers?

The day I see something revolutionary in Japan is the day that I will be suprised about it.

Quote:
On Saturday he suggested Emperor Akihito should visit the Tokyo shrine because those who died in wars did so in honour of their emperor.

He had said: "From the viewpoint of the spirits of the war dead, they hailed 'Banzai' ['long life'] for the emperor. None of them said, 'Long live the prime minister'.
now he has backed down? hmmmm I wonder why that could be ;\)

Actually Koizumi got asked in Parliment the other day if he felt it was appropriate to worship at a place with a "Japan was right" type attitude towards the war.

Struck me as being a good question as they have really only focused on the class a war crims todate.

Koizumi, of course, did the Junichiro sidestep and replied that they were seperate issues.

BP:

To be honest, I know little about the guy, but he just seems so smarmy. He alsos has that superior little grin going.