1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

im a converted gym-goer. in fact i've become evangelistic about it - i love it!

i used to think i got enough excercise from cycling, swimming, etc., but always had sore shoulders, sore neck, etc. from working at the computer all the time...

i have found that a custom weight training program has fixed all that, as well as fixing old snowboarding soft-tissue injuries & a car-crash whip-lash injury, & my posture has improved dramatically. i have more stamina, power & endurance when snowboarding, which is great.

i also feel fantastic after an 40-60min at lunchtime in the gym. its energising! & its not boring like i though it would be - you just swap between lots of gear, bop along to your favourite tunes - its acutally very pleasant.

& its nice to complement the gym stuff by excercising other muscles working in the garden on weekends.

• 1 month later...

I joined a gym earlier this week. It's one of those big franchise ones. I've signed up for a year so hopefully I'll stick with it and get super fit again.

I did a class called BodyPump this evening. It's basically fast-paced aerobics with weights. It was torture - I don't think there's a single part of me that doesn't hurt.

I was the only one in the class who had to lift just the bar without weights on it... \:o

I cant exercise unless its snowboarding or somethign competetive like squash or football.

I dont have the willpower to just go running or use an exercise bike, you bust your ass off for 30mins and then it says you have burnt off '120 calories' which is like a couple of biscuits.

This explains the exponential growth of my beer belly the past few years. :p

i love cardio too - it always feels so good to push yourself beyond what your body is telling you are your limits.

since being in japan i've pretty much been the most sedentary i've ever been in my life \:\( . at home i don't have a car so i'd ride my bike everywhere. also i worked at a bottle recycling depot so was constantly unloading trucks, shoveling glass dust, etc. so my upper body was strong too...

here, on the other hand, riding bikes down the super narrow country highway that runs through my town is pretty scary (but doable); work is sitting at a desk or at most standing to teach, and i've been hard pressed to leave my cozy kerosene-scented haven to go out into the blistering wind and go for a run, although that's changing lately as the days get longer.

one sweet thing that i love about my town is that it's got a giant obstacle course built into the side of a low mountain! kinda military style, with nets, walls to scale, and a whole bunch of other stuff i can't remember. the best part is at the end, there's a giant slide to get you back down to the bottom. anyone else's town have anything like this?

• 3 months later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
I think something else that would be interesting to know is how much money people spend on exercise/month. Gym fees/pool fees/yoga etc...?
How much do you pay?

I pay "0" yen \:\)
Make that 12,000 yen/month shifty.gif

Think its a bit much /month but TIJ right? Also, if its for my health I think that 12,000 is a small price to pay.

My schedule is now...

Weights 4 times a week ( 2 day split repeated)

3-4 cardio sessions (usually am 30mins+)

Sat & Sun Surf and run on the beach

Martial arts twice a week. one time nihon kempo (japanese KB, Judo mix) and 1 session of sparring... actually want to do more but no where to hang a sand bag.

I've lost 10kg in 10 weeks without even trying hard, of course I am eating wisely but now that just comes naturally. August 3dan here I come!

Total cost per month

Gym = 1,600yen

Nihon Kempo = 2,500yen

cheaper than it would in OZ!