1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I think I might get what you are getting at there, oo - a bit. You can try to ration it yourself

I sometimes feel I valued music more when I was younger when I didn't have constant access to such a huge volume of it.

That maybe bushpig. But I kinda remember valuing my music more than than now. Buying a cd was a big thing when I was younger and I usually got really into them - there haven't been many albums recently that I know inside-out. Maybe because they aren't as good... hmm, or maybe there is just too much and I can't decide what to listen to. Stick another album on the pod and hardly listen to it.

Rationing idea is of course silly though. lol.gif

yeah, but notice how so many people say, "music isn't as good as it used to be", or "there aren't as many new good artists these days" once they get a bit older??? I think that one of the big reasons for this (not the only one, so don't misquote me) is that young people are much more impressionable and many things, including music, have such a greater impact and influence on us when we are younger. Almost every generation loves to look back fondly on the music they grew up with while saying that new music isn't quite the same.

I was the same Its A Clock, when I bought a CD I would play it to death, and it was a much bigger deal for me. Maybe forking out my limited and hard-earned cash made me appreciate it more too.

Muzak is the real problem. Music that's just there, in shopping centers, pubs, restaurants, ski resorts, or wherever. It's not there to be appreciated.

As an aside, any football team that has to play music to get the crowd going after a goal (after a goal ffs!) is sad.

As for carrying around 100 albums or whatever in one of these gizmos that I don't have, that amount of choice encourages people to be less patient with stuff that doesn't provide instant gratification or quickly meet their expectations. It must do. Having a shallow knowledge of that amount of music smacks of that "he who has seen ten cathedrals once has seen but little" quote about sightseeing. If you're not careful, its ten seconds and then on to another of the 9,999 tracks on your player. Maybe that's why people like that "shuffle play" option. Listening to random tracks among your stuff forces you to listen to tracks that you would just skip over normally. Removing the act of choosing opens their mind.

People are nostaglic, but depending on the genre you listen to, a lot of the best stuff may be from the past. Listening to it instead of modern stuff is not necessarily a sign of nostalgia. It may actually be a lot better than what people in that genre are making now.