Skype works - and is getting better over time. I use it regularly for family contact between Canada and Japan and have called many other countries from my Mac to Skype on other computers and from my Mac to land lines and keitais. Occasionally there are drop outs - but lately quality seems much better - most of my overseas and long distance calls have been made over Skype in the last year for a total cost of 10 euros - I have saved a bundle - I just renewed...

sorry - suffering from jet lag after 14 hour flight from Toronto...the Skype USB phones work as advertised...my brother-in-law has one connected to his windows box. Any problems he has are windows related - the phone works great.

I use it too. No problems. You don't need to fork out for a phone though. Just download the free software and leave the volume up on the pc & speakers so you can hear it ring. Connect a mic and/or headphones when you want to speak.

Are there any advantages to buying a usb handset? I bought one for my dad cos I thought it would be easier for him.

• 7 months later...

OK, skype technical question coming up.

I use skype regularly to contact my brother in the UK, no problem. I have an old fashioned jack-type headset which plugs directly into the sound card.

I have been trying to use skype to contact my boys in Oz. I sent them a USB headset for this purpose. My understanding is that the USB sets have a built in soundcard, and Windoze defaults to that when they are plugged in. The problem I am having is that after 5-10 minutes of talking, their mike seems to drop out. They can hear me, but I can't hear them.

I'm coming to the conclusion that their headset is faulty, but I thought I'd put this out and ask for comments or suggestions before I go out and buy a new set.

TIA

I'm trying to get my family in the UK all skyped up, but my Dad heard on his favourite BBC4 programme Money Box that Skype and Kazaa are P2P and they can suck the wallet right out of your trouser pocket, get your grandma pregnant, sell drugs on your front step, and visit brothels wearing your monogrammed blazer, so you shouldn't use them. It's been an uphill battle persuading him that I have his interests a bit more at heart than the BBC does. (The BBC wants everybody scared of identity theft so the government can make you safe with a nice ID card with a piece of your flesh embedded in it.)

I bought a crappy headset for peanuts which works fine, but something cordless sounds good.

lol.gif Tell him he's a doddering old fool and make all your calls reverse charge. That'll larn him.

fjef. I can't be sure that it's not a windoze issue, that's why I put it out. I realise the solution to every computing problem is to use a Mac. Unfortunately that would need co-operation from my ex. "He who sups with the Devil needs a long spoon". From here to Perth is just about long enough.

Thanks all.

Soub,

I recently bought a logitech 350 USB headset to use with skype and I was having the same problem as your kids. I exchanged a few emails with logitech support without success. I was going to take the headset back but the problem seems to have not re-eventuated. Sorry I couldnt be more help!

I use a plantronics wireless ear piece. It's great because I can talk and handle the kids, scratch my nuts, channge nappies etc etc all while talking.

Great especially as kids always seem to want you as soon as you touch the phone!