Hey, does anyone have any near-death experiences like the one Creek Boy had, but non snow/ski/board related?

I have had a number of run-ins with sharks while out surfing. Some turn out to be dolphins (which is quite shitsky until you realize they aren't sharks eek.gif ) But we had a reasonably large shark swim between us when we were surfing a km out on a reef near lancelin, north of Perth, West Oz.

Only once really when I was 16. I was swimming with some friends at the beach down the street from my house and all of a sudden I felt this incredible burning pain all up my right arm - it was so painful that I blacked out in the water.

I came to as my friends were dragging me out of the water and I had all these blue dotted tentacles stuck to my right arm/across my chest.

I must've been really out of it because I don't remember much of what happened next but they managed to get me back to my house. My older brother was the only one home and he was all like "Stop screaming you idiot, it's just a jellyfish, they're harmless. Go have a shower and lie down".

My friends put me under the shower and they noticed that I was coming out in huge welts where the tentacles had been. Then I threw up and passed out again so they made my brother call an ambulance.

Turns out I'd been stung by a Bluebottle and had reacted badly to the venom. Scary stuff! Needless to say I don't swim at the beach these days. \:\(

• 3 weeks later...

bluebottles are nasty things.

i remember my brother threw seaweed at me once not realising (i assume... confused.gif ) that there were about 10 blue bottles tangled up in it. got stung all around my neck and shoulders.

my nearest death experience though was getting hit by a motorcycle in bali about 15 or so years ago. was rushed to hospital in a very crowded passing car.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Yamakashi has actually half given up the fight and now has a big C on his left slipper and a big B on his right slipper in Hakuba!
figured thatd be enough to shut you guys up!! Guess not. It was actually just a way to keep peeps from using my slippers.