Japanese help - fish names

Could someone please help me with the japanese names for these fish:

cod fish

red snapper

mackeral (someone told me that's saba)

thanks. I've been given some nice recipes with these fish and want to get the nihongo names to ask for them in the shops.

I believe red snapper - (Lutjanus campechanus) is 'kinmetai' literally 'gold eye snapper'.

black snapper is Kurodai -

tai, dai, snapper, bream are one and the same.

rsrd401w.jpg

speaking of snapper, what happened to the forum member named snapper?

I'll second that! Barramundi is great!

Bushpig - hokke is atka mackeral? What the hell is that?

Thanks for the further info on the red snapper guys. I'm a little confused though - seems there are a few names for snapper. Do we have any general consensus here? Is kinmetai the one I should ask for, maybe any tai is close enough if people look at me strangely.

Yeh, yama, I love shake and maguro too, and I like how they grill the saba here.

Good fish and chips, mmmmm, agreed....! Let's have REAL chips too, not any of that reconstituted startch stuff...!

This is Atka Mackerel in all it's colourful glory Sunrise!

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/species/Atka_mackerel.htm

Yeah, Schnapper, snapper, sea bream, all of them are Tai. All the same species (ie. bream, or variations of it). Anything finishing with tai or dai will get you close enough to what you want.

Oh man.... We gotta stop this fish and chip talk \:o so are you salt and vinegar, sauce or chicken salt fans??

I personally like salt and vinegar, sometimes chicken salt, and perhaps even both together...

I like salt and lemon. I am also a big tomato sauce fan. I have recently been introduced to beer battered chips - probably the most artery-clogging food you can get and oh-so-delicious!

My favourite is calamari. Good calamari, not the stringy kind.