Snowboarding in japanese signs/letters

i like 雪板 (seppan). It literally means `snowboard`, and i have seen it used in some instructor books in Japan. The word for `riding` is 滑走 (kassou).

But i am making a stencil and spraypainting my pants and board with 温暖化は敵だ。(Global Warming is the enemy)

Maffinman, don't follow what intro-oz said!!!! If you put that word on your jacket, probably Japanese people around would have strange eyes at you

lol

PM me if you would like to know what it means.

Thank you all. This was very fast. And a lot of good proposals.

Especially @ intro-nz for trying let me look like a fool.

Next problem. My PC hastn´t got the language pack for japanese signs. So I only see squares where the signs should be.

Does somebody know where to get that program ? Didn´t find it, yet.

Or could you just send me an email or add in here as .jpeg

Thank you very much.

"Avalanche expert ! If you see my boarding fast... try to keep up !

This page should get you up and running.

But do also note that Japanese people can't actually read Japanese either. They have terrible problems with katakana, and kanji is now way beyond most of them. Although "kyokon" is quite commonly used and widely found.

Hi. Added the language pack for japanese.

And am able to look at japanese letters now, though I am not able to read it. But I think it will look pretty cool, when I've finished my jacket.

@ Oyuki kigan

Question to the grammar:

Do you know if they say riding snowboard or snowboard riding ? ( 雪板 + 滑走 or 滑走 + 雪板 )

Do I have to write it from right to left ?

Muffinmann,

I am not sure we say snowboard 雪板. I personally have never said it that way yet. We take foreign words just as they are said on our way. You know some pronounciations are really hard for us. In that case we arrange them in some easier way to pronounce.

E.g. You pronounce your country Deutseland?? We just do "Doitsu" for it.

Riding snowboard --- perhaps "スノーボードに乗る"

But I think most people don't say "乗る" if it's snowboard. They just say "スノーボードをする" which means more like " we do snowboard".

No, we don't write it right to left any more only except at the right doors of some commercial cars like commercial van.

I have been curious why. I guess perhaps because we drive left. So while we describe it right to left there, easier to get what it says.

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffinmann:
Thank you all. This was very fast. And a lot of good proposals.
Especially @ intro-nz for trying let me look like a fool.
lol. sorry. i knew someone would set you right tho ;\)

Muffinmann, this is a good online dictionary;

http://www.alc.co.jp/

You can cut and paste J into it, or type in English words.

I would just like to say again that early enthusiasm for Japanese words can make foreigners look like pricks.

(Example: When I first came to Japan, I got a kick out of pinching the flags outside restaurants and putting them up in my apartment to be surrounded with Orientalism. I had a cool black one with 'udon' in white hiragana. My girlfriend (now my wife) showed her deep contempt for my behaviour, which didn't put me off, fool that I was, until she said "It's like if I went to England and posted signs on my wall that said 'Rice pudding'. Now, how cool would that look? Baka!")

Imagine somebody in your country painting themselves with the words for snowboarding to go snowboarding. How cool would that look?

• 2 weeks later...

Very honest in here. Though you might be right.

But in case I want to make a fool out of myself or I like people laughing over me because I like writing down on my jacket what I am doing at the moment, I don't wanted to be that stupid and even spell it the wrong way or write it in the right direction (Like some celebrities have done with their tatoos). So, I'll think about it.

@intro: no problem for me. I think you're known here by the others.

@ocean11: she married you. Can't look that bad ? ;o)

P.S.: The jacket should be used in suisse. So it only should have a good look. And the possibility someone will be able to read it is very low.

If sb. is interessted I could sell my jackets backside for advertising use on ebay.

Enter suggestions below if you like.

You could do it tongue in cheek style, to take a poke at some of the crap English t-shirts over here.

I heard of a guy who printed the Japanese for "don't wind past this point" (from a role of film) on his t-shirt. Japanese came up to point out how silly it was. Made for interesting conversations.

Once had a student show up the the airport to fly out to the US, with one of the "F_CK" t-shirts on. Completely oblivious.