I noticed that tomorrow is another - yet another, it seems - holiday for you peeps in Japan. Lucky sods. Pity it's plonked in the middle of the week and you can't make it into a 3 day holiday.

Question... is there no wish for these holidays to be on a Monday (like they often are here in the UK) or a Friday - you know, changed to fit in and give people a better rest time?

I'm off to my local Agricultural College's harvest festival. I read in "Pink Samurai" that harvest festivals in rural areas were traditionally a sake-soaked orgy. This could be a rather different Thursday from the usual.

2pints,mate.

Exactly some have already been switched.

e.g.

Coming-of-Age Day : Jan.15th--->the second Mon. in Jan.

Umi no hi ( Sea day?) : July.20th--->the third Mon.in July

Taiku no hi (athletic day) -->Oct.10th-->the second Mon. in October.

But some are hard to switch coz of its origin, I guess.

A mid-week break is actually a nice feeling. Have a beer and a bbq on Tuesday night, go surfing Wednesday or if in Japan, head to the mountains. It breaks up the week into nice two day chunks. And a mid-weeker is nai yori mashi compared to the nazi like public holiday schedule in the UK! (ie, there are almost none, probably because there is nothing to do on your days off here anyway.)

I didn't know that gamera....

If I could choose mid-week or a Mon or Fri, I think I'd go for the Mon/Fri most times. Long weekends are good. (Especially in winter)

finishing work today (after a wonderful relaxing day yesterday) & suddenly realized - oh my god it's friday & i don't have to go to work until monday!

midweek holidays are surprisingly good. much better than i thought. however, agreed, if you want to go away somewhere, the thursday holiday is kinda a pain.

I got the Friday off too \:D Two of the companies I teach at ahd what they termed a "bridging holiday", that is, a bridge company day off between the public holiday and the weekend. Both are foreign companies, not to sure many Japanese companies do the same thing.

Gave us the perfect opportunity to go shopping at a relatively empty shopping mall. I'm not a huge shopping fan but today was pretty good. Took the girl to a kids play area thing that was basically empty. Only one other Dad and his boy were there, and all I could think was "Mate you and I are lucky guys-it would have been pandemonium in here yesterday".

Cant believe I've still got two days holiday left to go clap.gif . Beats the hell out of my recent 6 day weeks.

Well Ive had the past 2 weeks off on vacation as my mummys here so that public holiday made no difference to me \:\) . But shes going back to Sydney today. Ahh well now I have the apartment all to myself; back to the grind and stuff :p