For me to compare the tragedy in Pakistan to the Indo tsunami and the recent hurricanes in The USA just by judging the responses on this forum? When the previously mentioned disasters occurred they had separate threads with people expressing shock, sympathy and blame, often degenerating to finger pointing and heated discussions.

But this tragedy in Pakistan, which has claimed over 13,000 lives at last count, has neither it own thread and barely a mention in another. Are we becoming blase about such things or do we just dont care so much about the people in Pakistan?

I sure hope we havent.

I was thinking the same - though there is a thread gamera made about disasters just after the Pakistan quake and it did get some talk in the earthquake thread.

With what seems like an endless string of these events, it's sad that we might become blase about it all - (I very much doubt it has to do with any not caring about Pakistan feelings!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
I didnt even know about the disaster until Tuesday eek.gif Didnt see a TV from Thursday night until Tuesday \:o
Me, too! ( well monday evening)
The Bali bombs didn't even get a mention this time either..

Maybe people getting sck of bad news?

I've been too busy to talk about it up here, but it's pretty shocking and very tragic and is on my mind, and the bombings were pretty shocking too. I didn't find out about either of them straight away.

I read one guy saying of Bali that they were warned not to go there that night:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200510/s1472843.htm

I kept the link, and am wondering if it will mysteriously disappear once some kind of "official" story comes out.

Quote:
Originally posted by maoriboy:
...or do we just dont care so much about the people in Pakistan?
That is the reason. Most will deny it.

I dont suggest that people knowingly think 'ah, who gives a shit'.

It is a little like the 100's that get killed every week in Iraq.

C'mon guys.

Use the news formula will ya!

1 whitey = 5 non-whitey

5 non-whitey = 100 asian

100 asian = all sorts of shit anywhere else in the world * 10,000

all sorts of shit anywhere else in the world * 10,000= who give's a f__k.

It's hard to express, but here goes anyway.

Their life is very much removed from ours. We're not sure if they think like us at all, or if they like us at all. In some of these areas that have been hit, Westerners have had their heads cut off (some of the first to experience that joy, a good many years before those in Chechnya, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia.) There are very few of 'us' there, and even the Indian and Pakistani governments have a hard time there. This can make empathy hard.

However, when I see on TV what condition they're in, I reason that most of them have not cut off Westerner's heads, that they don't get much from their respective governments, and that they could do with a tent at the minimum. As they haven't obviously voted for an idiot like Bush either, I feel inclined to do what I can to help.

There are many disasters competing for our sympathy and the closer it is to home the more you are affected I guess. What about all the slow starvation and dysentry related deaths, or malaria for that matter? These are disasterous too and it's hard to know how to prioritize.

I sympathised with the victims of Katrina but didn't feel compelled to donate money. For the Pakistan earthquake we've given some money to Unicef-did the same for the tsunami. I wish I could send one of those families the tent we've got sitting in the closet.