Gems in the Garbage, Your best finds in used stores/garbage heaps

I am doing the rounds at the used book stores and finding some pretty obscure punk and stuff.

I once foung a working record player and speakers in great condition in a garbage pile in Hokkaido, but i forgot to grab the amp.

Hooray for recycling!

Seek and ye shall find.

You can find some decent gear if you look around.

I found some awesome stuff in Australia, my lounge room was full of funky unwanted furniture that was destined for landfill.

One persons junk is another mans treasure so they say!!

You can find good cheap junk at the recycle stores. They must make a killing though cause you get next to nothing for dropping off your junk.

I had to get rid of a semi used pair of summer tires. They gave me 2500 yen for the entire set. ****ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not used, but i just got a sony cd player that you can use in the bathroom at a discount store for 4000 yen. I just saw the same one in Jusco for over 9000.

And i found the record player when i was living in Kitami, in Hokkaido. It wasn`t some random spot i decided to look.

And by the way, i`m thinking about getting some people together for a hike/trail clean up sometime this fall. We`d all wear those old baskets on our backs and make it into a fun kinda hike/environmental message thing.

I don`t know where to do it though. Fuji, maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
I had to get rid of a semi used pair of summer tires. They gave me 2500 yen for the entire set. ****ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Ahh, grasshopper, now you find out the reason yahoo auction good is!

When I came here at the start of the 90s, there used to be mountains of nearly new stuff piled up outside apartments, usually with a few gaijin picking through it and piling stuff up next to their stolen bikes.

I don't see many gems in there any more, although there are usually some useful plant pots in the plastic gomi.

The local Pick Up secondhand stores here seem very generous with what they pay for stuff. I think of what they pay in terms of bottles of booze, and I always come away satisfied that my cast-offs have been turned into ample liquid assets.