It's fig season again!

Is anybody else devoted to figs?

The tear-shaped Japanese figs are much better than the European ones, although they're somewhat harder to find. Luckily my local JA supermarket has a steady supplier. The fig season in Ehime is very long due to the warm climate, and the price falls steeply from August.

Figs would probably go well with cheese (if it were available of course). They go very well with sake.

If you are a fig eater, do you eat the skin too? I do. Shame to waste it.

Not figs, but tomatos. There is some lovley stuff coming off the family farm now. Father-out-law has grown a variety that looks like those Italian domestic tomatos. Large, flat and ugly with blotchy skin, often split, but with sublime texture and flavour.

I am a long time supporter of Ocean's fig opinion. Figs are the king of fruits, best eaten sunlight warm with skin and all. Japan really does produce insanely good figs.

On a warm yet comfortably mild afternoon, try the following:

Eat: room temperature figs, cut in half with a small amount of pure honey and almond shavings on top*

Drink: ice cold milk with a small amount of pure honey mixed into it along with cinnamon and nutmeg.

* if you feel indulgent then get a spoon of mascarpone cheese and mix roughly with a little honey and a couple of drops of cognac, put that on the fig and then add the shaved almonds.

Food is life, eating is living.

I was in a very wet Norfolk, (UK) yesterday at a friend's house. He gave me fresh figs and gorgonzola for lunch...mmmmmmmmm......delicious....my first fresh figs. He'd grown them all himself and had harvested around 100 so far this season, from trees he planted 7/8 years ago. I ate them ala Alan Bates.