Yokohama people out there...

Hey, anyone living in Yokohama? Wife and I are thinking about moving, and Yokohama is one of the areas we are considering. Just curious what you think about the area, cost, +/- compared to Tokyo, etc.

It depends on where you want to live.

Tokyu line(both of Toyoko and Denen-Toshi line) and Minato Mirai subway area is popular and the rent isn't so cheap. But surely, the environment is better than Tokyo.

Tsondaboy I've been living in Tokyo, pretty near Shinjuku. The other day I was checking out some new flats going up around Shinagawa close to the water, but Yokohama seems pretty nice also.

I dont like Shinagawa area that much. I find it too dirty. Yokohama is definetly better but you have to take in acount that you will spend minimum 1 hour comuting. I really like were I live now (yoyogi uehara). Its in the center of a circle with Sibuya Sinjuku and simokitazawa on its perimeter. Everything 10 minutes on the bicycle from my place. Its also really quiet and clean but also a bit expencive. I was lucky to find a 1K place for 7 man.

If you need many fancy restarurants, cafes, bars around your neighborhood, you can't live in Yokohama but you don't mind traveling to Tokyo for those things, Yokohama is nice place to live. If I want to move to Yokohama from Tokyo, I choose Naka-ku area(around Yamashita park, Motomachi, Yamate area). It's most expensive area in Yokohama but you may be able to find an old cozy little house on the hill.

One friend used to live in that area and work for the international school there. He couldn't enjoy living in Yokohama. He complained that there was zero nice place hanging around after school. Another friend used to live between Hiyoshi and Tsunashima. His apartment had a very nice view and surrounded by trees on the hill. He enjoyed that envitonment, it was good place for him to practice guitar or drum. I thought it was very nice apartment but too far from the station.

If you want to live by the bay, a nice apartment in front of the Rainbow Bridge, which my friend designed and I named will be open soon. ;\)

Montoya I used to live in Tenno-cho, about five mins from Yokohama. As others have said, if you really crave the cool cafe's, clubs and pubs of Tokyo then you might find Yokohama area a bit dull. However Minato Mirai area is nice, as is Motomachi and Yamashita park (Love the outdoor pool at Motomachi). There are a few nice restuarants and pubs but nowhere near the variey that is in Tokyo. We spent a lot of time communting up to the big smoke and got very sick of the Tokyu line, especially the last local train on a friday or saturday night, the "sake train" Another good thing is the close proximity of Kamakura and Zushi which makes a good break in summer as well.

Tsondaboy, my friend has just moved into yoyogi-uehara and I think that area rocks. It has a quiet small town vibe and character while being close to everything, including one of my favorite areas Shimo-kitazawa. Good place to live!

Dims, thats the reason why I picked this place to live. I really love hanging around in Shibuya, clubbing, dinning etc. Yoyogi uehara is a really popular neighbourhood latelly and you get to see many TV people eating out in the near by restaurants. Next time you come in Tokyo come and I will show you around in the neighbourhood. \:\)

By the way, what hapened last time? Were did you guys end up clubbing?

thanks guys. After +10 years in Tokyo it feels like I am going less to fancy restaurants, cafes & bars, and spending more time hiking biking and climbing. So Yokohama sounds nice. I guess I will be checking it out later this month.

Actually I'm looking for something to buy, I hate to think about how much money I've wasted all these years.

Yap, I was really lucky. In fact I was even asked by my landlord if I want to live in the place!

The catch was that in the first floor her Alzheimer mother lived. So my landlord said that she could start being loud in the night, etc…

Of course she was just exaggerating, you could hardly here any noise coming from downstairs. In fact, even if there was some noise from downstairs, I couldn’t hear it because my noises are louder than hers!

I also thought that it is perfect to have a neighbour that has Alzheimer because she doesn’t have a clue of what I am doing upstairs and can’t complain about anything! \:D

Eventually her mother moved into a clinic 2 months after I rented the place. So now I am paying for a place with 2 rooms (bedroom 6 jo, kitchen 6 jo) in Yoyogi-Uehara 7 man per month. It doesn’t sound that bad, does it?

Lately we are planning to move in together with my girlfriend and since we like this area we are looking for something close to were I live now.

You can easily get a deal for about 14 man for a 30-40 m2 (kitchen, living room, bedroom) around here. Of course “timing” is the most important thing.

> You can easily get a deal for about 14 man for a 30-40 m2 (kitchen, living room, bedroom) around here

Heheh. Heheheheh. Hideous deal. Heheheheh. That does include a large garden and double garage right? Heheheheh.

I used to live between Yoyogi Uehara and Shimokitazawa, closer to Yoyogi Uehara. It's such a great neighborhood, I'd love to move back around there.

I've just heard that start next April they are planning to tear down all the gorgeous trees and gorgeous old house across the road from me (and my balcony view) - a reasonable size block of land, and are going to put up a 5 storey hospital. What fun! If possible I would like to move before having deal with the heartbreak of seeing all those trees, some very old ones too, get destroyed. If that were in Australia they would never be allowed to chop down those trees.

Get out the chains sunrise, and strap yourself to those trees!!!!! Or build yourself a treehouse in one and live up there for the rest of summer. Play the new single hell loud on a loop with signs promoting your music. Should get a bit of publicity for that I'd reckon. Kill two birds with one stone.

You getting dragged away by police while calming singing your song lyrics would make a good music video as well lol.gif shifty.gif

Well, at least I wouldn't have to worry about where to live for while during my stint in jail lol.gif

Break free of one set of chains only to find myself bound and shackled by another.... ah, the things to do for publicity....

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
You can easily get a deal for about 14 man for a 30-40 m2 (kitchen, living room, bedroom) around here. Of course “timing” is the most important thing.
Don't know how you do it!
My 100m2 for 8man pisses me off because it's too small!