• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I didn't take it as being discriminated at that time.

And also, I wasn't on about WHO was wrong. I find it strange that people take it personally, as to who is wrong.

Rob, experience is not a matter of right or wrong.

It is the assumption that one reach to that is ...

There's an English speakers info website called Toytown and it seems like I'm not the only one who gets hassled with not carrying passport within Germany.

Originally Posted By: thursday

But my line to my mate has always been, it would never have happened if you hadn't married Wan Chai's lap dancing goddess.

lol

Actually, I wonder what they think about us.
One Austrian waiter, who was a bit of an ass thought I was a rich old asian man with a young german ho. (He didn't get tipped.) We don't like wearing rings but we do when we go on trips. It's all about how one looks.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Damn, Take a guess ...
Do people tell you think like a German, Rob?

not wrong. Jynnx you are not from an EU country. EU nationals do not need to show their passport when travelling through the EU. AFAIR
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Damn, Take a guess ...

not wrong. Jynnx you are not from an EU country. EU nationals do not need to show their passport when travelling through the EU. AFAIR

How do they distinguish?
Like...do you all have this certain look?
My Dad has a British passport, and IIRC my brothers and I can get one. Do you maybe have to show some other form of ID.

Germans have a national identity card. It is compulsory to carry it at all times.

Drivers licence can be an ID but you don't know where you come from do you? You can be a different national that requires visa in EU. That's probably the reason Auslander's muss carry a passport.

Originally Posted By: DokiDokiWakuWaku
I just heard on the tv that more than 90% of Americans do not own a passport. Does that sound realistic?

Growing up, I remember retirees who were proud that they had never left the state in their entire lives. This was a state which took less than two hours to drive across -- in the long direction.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Damn, Take a guess ...

How do they distinguish?
My Dad has a British passport, and IIRC my brothers and I can get one. Do you maybe have to show some other form of ID.

you may be asked to provide another form of ID, but you don't need a passport

Germans have a national identity card. It is compulsory to carry it at all times.

Drivers licence can be an ID but you don't know where you come from do you? You can be a different national that requires visa in EU. That's probably the reason Auslander's muss carry a passport.

Um last time I checked, I know where I come from.

What is an Auslander? and muss?

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Damn, Take a guess ...

How do they distinguish?

Like I said earlier, being a Brit, our driving license, well the photo part, has all the relevant information on it that they need.

Last time I checked, which was last week, it is compulsory to HAVE an identity card if you are over 16, but you DON'T HAVE to carry it all times.

source

Interesting.

Being an Aussie Gal obviously anywhere we go by car/train/bus/etc we don't need to take a passport. We have photo Drivers License and are supposed to carry it whenever we drive, but certainly not at all times.

Domestic air travel Adults are supposed to carry photo ID.

If we fly or boat (heading out of Aussie waters) then we take-a da passport.

Being the massive isolated continent that we are, it intrigues me how it all works in Europe, where you can drive through a number of countries all in the same the day! And how the EU and non-EU countries get on as far as border control. It was hard to see it from our perspective because we had passports anyway being foreigners.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Australia requires EVERYONE to have a visa for entry. Good system, keeps the scum out. Unfortunately cannot help with the domestic scum problem.

bar NZ - we have automatic residency in australia unless a prior conviction results in a bar at the entry point.

I have never needed a visa for aussie, and for a few years I was visiting once every three months to see my parents while on uni holidays, who were living there without applying for residency - legally.

As for the whole "americans don't need to travel because they have such a broad range of experiences available within their own borders." Yet the same can be said of New Zealand and we're exceedingly active in exploring the world in general, same for australians. It seems like a poorly thought out excuse to me.
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

As for the whole "americans don't need to travel because they have such a broad range of experiences available within their own borders." Yet the same can be said of New Zealand and we're exceedingly active in exploring the world in general, same for australians. It seems like a poorly thought out excuse to me.

It is just blinkered tunnel vision. Rather egocentric!

As for the whole "americans don't need to travel because they have such a broad range of experiences available within their own borders." Yet the same can be said of New Zealand and we're exceedingly active in working in bars around the world in general, same for australians.

that's why you guys travel. wink
Originally Posted By: RobBright

As for the whole "americans don't need to travel because they have such a broad range of experiences available within their own borders." Yet the same can be said of New Zealand and we're exceedingly active in working in bars around the world in general, same for australians.

that's why you guys travel. wink

hahaha touche

back on the for travelling in Europe.

For most of the EU member states (this does not include UK & Ireland) there is no border control. The name is Shengen Area (or something like that)

The UK and Ireland have their own in which no passport is required for travel between them.