Seems like you know a lot about this subject. I have a couple of simple questions.

I bought a sit-on-top inflatable Coleman kayak today. It cost a whopping 70 US dollars. I bought it mainly for fly fishing from (caught some nice ones today too!).

BUT, I had a GREAT time just paddling. I've done a tiny bit of ocean kayaking in Hawaii, but really have done nothing serious. Today, however, I was able to paddle within 20 feet of a moose taking a drink out of the lake. I have some pics I took from shore I'll post later. Anyway, I just loved the feeling of gliding on the water. Since I haven't been able to surf, this just felt like a great substitution. I loved it!

1) I have one double oared paddle. How frickin' long does it take to get proficient at using one of these? I had spurts of greatness, but then would mess up and almost tip myself.

2) Any recommendation for paddling gloves? I gots some nice blisters!

3) If I wanted to get a serious hard-shelled beginner kayak, how much money am I looking at? Doesn't have to be US dollars - I can convert. Any reccomendations on brand or type to get?

I'd like something that is multi-use. Lake paddling, running up to maybe class 3 rapids (nothing higher), and comfortable to fish from. Does such a beast even exist?

If ya feel like it, just give me what you have off the top of your head. I can do some research on my own too. There are a couple of paddle shops up here and I've got the internet of course. Just wanted to pick your brain ;\)

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

I bought a sit-on-top inflatable Coleman kayak today. I bought it mainly for fly fishing
Better watch out with the hooks
I've fished from inflatable craft since I was a wee tyke (meaning, my family was too poor to get a proper boat \:\) )

I really am pretty used to it and very careful. The kayak I bought had some "Super-Secret New Polymer More Resistant to Punctures!" At least it said that on the box lol.gif

Fly fishing is actually pretty easy from an inflatable. Spin casting is a bit more dangerous in my experience. I've blown 2 rafts fishing for bass! Luckily, this kayak has 7 chambers, so I'm not too worried. And, I'm a good swimmer ;\)

I've been doing a bit of kayaking lately and I like the kayaks that look like Japanese toilet slippers - the short wide ones with the flat bottoms. You can pretty much get them going where you want just by turning with your hips.

You're a big lad though aren't you Plucky? Finding something that fits will be a struggle. I can only get in any of the kayaks at my club if I take my sandals off... That extra 5 cm makes all the difference.

I think I know what you're talking about. Really wide where you sit, but tapers off to a sharp, short point in the front and a little more rounded and blunt in the back?

Now that I think about it, I just bought a decent little lake kayak for fishing and dinking around.

I guess you can take fishing out of the equation above. Just lake, ocean and light river paddling. That would be perfect. I'll have to run up and take a look at some tomorrow.

Ocean - I'm not that tall at all. Only 5'11", but I'm wide and broad shouldered. I have really big legs too. Shopping for pants/trousers/jeans sucks. Fitting in to a hard-shelled kayak may be problematic too. I didn't think about that. Well, just have to see tomorrow. I'm sure they'll have something - fat guys like kayaks too ;\)

userpic12444pic242c4fc55eb514.JPG

The boat to the left is a typical slipper boat. The German-made Eskimo that I'm paddling is huge but turns on a dime when you paddle on your own (or just a sprog).

userpic25768pic342c4fc55f0336.JPG

The green boat upside down on the landing deck is called a 'peapod' or something like that, and is extremely easy to control. It's very easy to hoick around out of the water too. But for me, the fit is very tight...

for used boat prices plucky check here

http://www.kayaknews.ca/yak/boats/can4sale.shtml

That gives you an idea on what you are looking at.

paddling it takes about 3 days to catch on and really be able to go straight most of the time.

Key point push the paddle dont pull on it. the bottom hand is for control only. The straighter your paddle enters the water the better.

Gloves hardware store neopreen gloves are fine. Every paddler gets the yearly blister I got mine already.

Ocean you are paddling now that is good. The eskimo boat is a river runner very fast and easy to roll also good for big water. the small boat is called a playboat and is not as easy to roll, not good in big water.

Plucky when you get some ideas on the type of boat you want pm me and Ill help. PS they now sury waves with kayaks and that doesnt hurt your knee.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
for used boat prices plucky check here
http://www.kayaknews.ca/yak/boats/can4sale.shtml

Key point push the paddle dont pull on it.
Thanks for that link. I'll look through it a bit more extensively tomorrow.

My friend John (same guy who is the mountain guide) rowed crew for Oregon State in college. He taught me a few things about paddling - not much though. It came back a little today and the whole 'push, don't pull' thing became my mantra. Funny you said that, because I didn't know if I was remembering crap info or the real thing \:\)

Let me check some things out this weekend and I'll PM if I have questions. Thanks for the reply!

Ocean - That's totally backwards from what I was envisioning. I've never seen anything like that. I also am not too familiar with Japanese bathroom slippers since I have a size 12 US foot ;\) I can't remember if I told that story or not from the Hachimantai Royal Hotel about me and slippers and the footwear policy in the hotel's breakfast buffet. Makes me laugh to think about it.

> the small boat is called a playboat and is not as easy to roll, not good in big water

When you say roll, do you mean turn it right over? Because I did that on my first try at a sharp turn...

I think if I'm going to be pushing and not pulling, I need a longer paddle.

a roll meaning the boat fliped over and your upside down, you then roll yourelf out of the water.

ocean how tall are you?

I use a 194 paddle and im 173cms

your hands should dip into the water when whitewater paddling.

These pics might get deleted asap but for now Ill try to link them up. blpic42974.jpg blpic42973.jpg blpic42972.jpg blpic42971.jpg blpic42970.jpg

Some shots from yesterday. I had a bad day I had too many clothes on and I over heated. The wave was ok but I didnt get that many long rides. Ill post some video in a little bit.

Ocean my friend is selling his Riot boat, its a a better type then the one you were using maybe around 3man are you interested?

Nice pics! What type of boat is that? Weren't you riding something much longer before?

I'm moderately interested in a 3 man boat. But how much is the rest of the get-up (splash deck, lifejacket, paddle, helmet?)

that was hozu gawa they fixed my play spot ill post more info in a bit.

Ive yet to go to nagaragawa but I will go this season and camp somewhere there.

Hozu has a few good play spots, this spot is between kameoka station and Umahori station. it will be very good later tomorrow or today.