I booked some flights a month ago for August. Paid up in full weeks ago. There was an extra 6000 yen or so as some sort of fuel charge.

Anyway I got a call today from the travel agent saying that another fuel charge has been added, so please pay up another 4000 yen!!!!

I told them where to go.

Good for you...I was told when I went to pic up my tickets to Thailand that I needed to pay an extra 400 yen. I laughed...ohh how I laughed at them..it was a mighty laugh indeed. Then I looked at the staff. They didnt even blink or change expression, just stared and repeated their request. Silently I paid the extra charge. (story edited for humourous effect) \:\)

Yep - taking a group to Oz soon and after all members paid up we had to ask them for a few 1,000 more because of fuel increases.

Last week we got hit again for 4,000 each.

My wife says we can't ask them for extra again so and just gotta wear it.

That's 4,000 x 15 = 60,000 from my pocket.

Geez. \:\(

Are you guys that are getting hit for extra going direct with the airlines or through agents?

I have found that by going through the airline once you have paid for your tix thats all you have to pay (because they issue the ticket within 3 days)

Agents can probably charge you anything until you actually pay for the tix, i doubt they'd ask you after you have the tickets.

Snobee, you doing homestay or taking a tour group? you should be killing it anyway right? 15 sounds like a hell of a big group! good luck..

A friend was asked the same. The agent said that if they actually get the tickets printed, the airline can't ask for more cash. If the tickets hadn't yet been printed, even if the flight had been paid for they could ask for more. Something like that anyway.

Indo - it's a homestay group of kids this time. I'm not so sure about making a killing (everyone says that-why?) but a comfortable return.

However once you wire in the 100+ hours to organize/set up, phone calls, loss of income while there etc and coupled with the enormous responsibility - I deserve (and the wife)every lil' yen.

The extra "fuel" money takes away from my indulgence funds - restaurants, wine, CD's, books.......! \:D

We had some tickets booked but not yet 100% confirmed, and got a similar call from the travel agency people this week. They said that if we confirmed the tickets and got them issued, they need not ask for this extra extra charge. So that's what we did. If we had not confirmed the flights, we'd have had to pay 3500 yen each on top of what we had already paid.

Yes that seems to be it. It seems my ticket wasn't actually issued but they asked me if I wanted to issue it or not. I said yes. Problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...

That sucks snobee.

Quote:
My wife says we can't ask them for extra again so and just gotta wear it.
Very nice of you, but if you get hit with a bill surely you could have passed that on to the peeps.