Rach - I have difficulty expressing my 'comic' theme is written form. That post was more of a satirical take on a funny miserable bastard. Even though London is a shocking city to live in (besides the local parks and Heath lands), I am not at all that unhappy. After all, I get weekend trips to any number or places in Europe and I catch a train to Paris whenever I bloody well feel like it. Europe has more to offer me than any other region in the world. And France is the king of Europe (Italy isn't bad either). So having a base in English speaking London is not such a hard thing at all.

I recently drove up to the Cotswolds, very nice. On the same trip I drove over to Wales then down across the 7 bridge and into Somerset. It was a very round trip and offers as much gentle scenery and very old architecture as most places in Europe. I was impressed with it all....... except for the food.

Greece looks great. I have been to Crete for a few weeks in the past (1985) and want to return.

Slow's idea of doing part of the trip by bike is a good one, although it will make taking a board hard. I used to have a surfboard rack on my bike and rode everywhere to surf. The only hassle was when a truck passed you on the road at 80kmph. The surfboard became a little like a big wing and the bike got thrown around a fair bit.

It would be good value to rent a place like Dims said, good value. I am much more comfortable in small non-communal groups or on my own, so a shared rental with 'the guys' is not for me. But is still a really good value way to get out of Tokyo without accommodation hassle.

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Take a train with your bike and get to Shimoda, tsonda! If you want, you can start riding from Atami and you'll enjoy exploring Shimoda better!
Take my bike with me sounds great! I always thought that you cannot take your bike in the train with you. Which line goes there slow, odakyu?
I am waiting for that revue of yours when you come back from ooshima. Post some pics also.
The pics that I have posted I took them with my camera 2 weeks ago. If you can spot it, there is a small white building on the beach on the small island of the first pic. I got to swim there!
\:D

Ah, Cotswolds, lovely villages!

It was my favorite thing on weekend to drive from Cheltenham and visit as many villages as we could by a broken rent a car.

My friend told me his favorite beach called Tatado beach in Shimoda. Probably, it's not a surfing spot. They rented a house there, too. If you don't care gigantic ムカデ or ゲジゲジ, you can rent a house there. Not for me, though...

Ok, I'll take my camera and post some pictures of Oshima here, tsondaboy!

You have to transfer to Izu-Kyuko at Atami. And don't forget to put your bike in a bag at station.

Tsonda, that looks so beautiful. Is that where you come from or where you were staying? Greece is on my list of places to get to someday.

I've swum in lovely clear waters with coral in the Izu area. It's lovely there. I hope to get there again this summer.

Hey, cool, Yama, Brizzie - you'll love it there. Will you stay longer and fly down south and pic up a few days skiing in the Snowy's while you're there? You'd love seeing snow gums instead of pine trees for a change, I'm sure.

sunrise, probably not. But do hope to get in some kind of sporting activity while Im there... Speaking with the other teacher whos going about what kind of activities were going to plan. This year he gets to choose with my imput, and next year when I go Ill lead it and take the kids so Ill get to decide. You know Id plan a good trip for them \:D

One of my japanese friends told me that Oshima is a famous 'nampa' place for young people. Even the girls gyaku-nan the guys there, i'm told

i might be in japan by the end of the summer. if i'm not recovering from knee surgery, i'm gonna surf too

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
One of my japanese friends told me that Oshima is a famous 'nampa' place for young people.
think that that would be niijima, the island befor oosima. it is famus for "nampa" and is also closser to tokyo.

You can surf there too Oyuki. They had the WCT surf contest there the year before last. Wide, open beaches but with clear water and big sand cliffs, free onsen and loads of "nampa", supposedly! Never been though ...

I'm back from Oshima!

I had a great time on the ferry and on the island. The weather was not so good but we enjoyed cycling around Oshima. It's very beautiful small island. White butterfly and bush warbler are everywhere and hardly see human and car. We rode almost 50km and max speed was 53km per hour on the downhill. East coast is much more hilly, pretty steep and uphill continues almost 4km and we were in the clouds at the top of the mountain. After this, very very nice down hill. We enjoyed Rotenburo after cycling.

I didn't see any sufers on the ferry and island. The ferry was full with cyclists and fishermen, divers. There was a triathlon on the Niisjima island this weekend and it was amazing to see so many cool bikes on the ferry.

I'll show pictures later.

Here are some pictures.

It was not so easy to stop cycling to take pictures and the most beautiful picture is in my memory...

We left Takeshiba ferry port at 10pm, it took almost two hours to get to Yokohama port.

o.jpg?bcOncEDB9k6IH_Xq

I got up at 5am and we arrived at Oshima 6am.

o---1.jpg?bcOncEDBpPoeVzok

This is my new bike. Felt F60, ultegra 30speed!!

s---1.jpg?bcOncEDBOpycGlSq

h---1.jpg?bcOncEDBVtvWzRs9

i---1.jpg?bcOncEDBC6o4H799

This mountain is the hardest part of this island but the most beautiful part, too.

m---1.jpg?bcOncEDB.eEuiqPQ

maybe you can surf here??

a---1.jpg?bcOncEDB4Dm8sr_J

We took night ferry, 1st class room(about 8000yen) to go and the lowest class(about 4000yen) back. If you don't have a bike bag, you have to pay 1400yen for cargo.

We didn't have any chance to go to the beach but looked like I could find very nice local beach. Onsens are in the town near the ferry port, water is salty and not so hot.

I'm sorry I'm lazy and this is the information about Oshima. http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tokyotravel/tokyojapantravelarchive349/323/tokyojapantravelinc.htm

EXCELLENT slow, great work. thanks for the photos too. i read tha article in j.today and it sounds as though it`s no secret among the surfing brothers. might be possible to island `hop` and check a few out.

whatever i decide to do over tha summa hols. i`ll be sure to post it here! thanks again. \:\)

Very nice pics slow! You made me jealous, Ooshima just entered into my “places I want to visit” list! Hopefully not a day when a typhoon is coming.

The pic No. 5 in the yahoo album is my favorite.