Ocean,

I would think many people would say the same about football (soccer) that it is dull to watch. Kind of like watching American football versus rugby. Rugby doesn't really do it for me.

By the way - go Red Sox. Nomar rules.

This game of baseball is that thing where they hold a World Series in the US that they ignore inviting the rest of the world too right?

Eh?! What's there to wait for in football? It's not like the ball is out of play and hidden in somebody's glove for 50% of the time...

And it's not like anybody in football has three chances...

Oh well, each to his own. I even know some English people who claim to support the Tigers.

---

Nippon Ham! Nippon Ham! Nippon Ham! Nippon Ham!

Anyone living in Kansai who hasn't been to see the Tigers is missing out on an interesting slice of local culture.

I've been to see other Japanese baseball teams, but the Tigers fans are by far the most interesting. The team itself is the equivalent of Manchester City or for American sports fans, maybe the Clippers or the New Orleans Saints. Despite starting well under Hoshino, the Tigers have faded badly since the World Cup started, but if they can get it back together, the area as a whole will really buzz off it. Back in 1992 (Shinjo's breakthrough year), the Tigers were first with about ten days to go, but they couldn't pull it off and the torchpaper remained unlit. Their only victory was in 1985, but the scenes that accompanied it in Osaka are legendary. Just ask anyone who remembers. It sounds pretty similar to the jubilation that accompanied Japan's victories in the World Cup last month.

Following Japanese baseball was one way I studied Japanese. It's far easier to learn when you take an interest in something. If you go in the outfield seats, a trip to Koshien is a great way to acquaint yourself with some colourful Kansai ben.

What's the curse, Danz?

Teleskier, the only acceptable comparison might be to cricket.

Why is it that the most tedious sports attract the largest audiences. Cricket, golf, baseball...snooker?

Maybe the same reason there's rarely a bestseller worth reading?

[This message has been edited by miteyak (edited 12 July 2002).]

Quote:
Why is it that the most tedious sports attract the largest audiences. Cricket, golf, baseball...snooker?

Snooker? Tedious? lol.gif

And does snooker get an audience anywhere outside the UK?